Question Can Motherboard be Responsible for RAM instability?

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have a new build (2 weeks old) and from day one I had issues with my G.Skill Trident RGB 16GB 3600mhz CL18 RAM running at 3600mhz (XMP loaded). It is rated for this speed but I have never been able to run it at this stably, even when voltage, mhz and timings inputted manually. At first I thought it was a QVL issue, but it turns after reaching out to G.Skill Tech support this exact RAM model (F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX) was, in fact, tested by G.Skill to work with my motherboard (AsRock B550M Pro4).

To test my RAM, I ran memtest86
@ 3400 mhz - 0 errors
@ 3466 mhz - 0 erros
@ 3600 mhz - memtest86 crashed less than 20 min in and computer rebooted to Windows

I have submitted an RMA request with the store I bought it at (Canada Computers) but I assume that they wont let me return that easily and will ask a lot of questions.

So, my question is: is it possible that my motherboard or something else is accounting for this instability or does the memtest86 test prove that its the RAM that is at fault?

From the memtest86 site:
"MemTest86 needs at least some functional RAM to boot and run. In cases where the RAM errors are very frequent (or you get unlucky) MemTest86 might freeze, lockup or crash, somewhat at random."

Note:
  • latest BIOS installed (1.42)
  • latest AMD chipset drivers installed
  • Windows clean installed

GPU (temporary): AMD Radeon HD 7770
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
MoBo: Asrock B550M Pro4
Ram: G-Skill Trident RGB 16GB CL18 3600mhz running @ 3400 mhz
SSD: Western Digital SN550 M.2 NVME - 1TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master 750 MWE Gold
Case: Corsair 280x

Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks.

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Your ram will have a lifetime warranty. G.skil should be able to replace it .
See if they will do a RMA exchange so you can keep working @3400 until you get the replacement.
Thanks for your response. I have reached out to G.Skill though replies are slow. Good to know I would be able to get RMA for this reason. So, it is for sure the memory that's at fault given the memtest86 crash at 3600mhz, right?