[SOLVED] Can motor be changed on liquid cooler?

Audio31

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Does anyone know if its possible to change a motor section of a liquid cooler? I've a CoolerMaster Sidon 240 Liquid Cooler but the motor is very loud, the fans and radiator are fine but instead of buying a whole new unit is it possible to change the motor section of the cooler?

Solution
You'd need several things. 1. A new pump, of course you could always get a used aio from ebay much cheaper, but then you are at the mercy of its prior usage history. 2. Fittings. Good luck finding fittings for the attachment since those are not standard, but factory crimped single piece fittings. 3. Fluid. Aios/clcs don't use distilled water, but a proprietary mix depending on manufacturer. Get the wrong kind and you'll end up with gel or clumps not fluid in the tubing.

It's really a lose-lose proposition unless you have a hybrid aio that uses standard G1/4 fittings.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I dont have liquid cooling , but couldn't someone just cut the hose and reattach a new CPU block/Pump? I mean of course youd have to know what your doing so no leaks etc … but would this not work? or does that kind of setup require a pump threw the reservoir. again Ive never liquid cooled so dont know, and more or less am just curious if that could work

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'd need several things. 1. A new pump, of course you could always get a used aio from ebay much cheaper, but then you are at the mercy of its prior usage history. 2. Fittings. Good luck finding fittings for the attachment since those are not standard, but factory crimped single piece fittings. 3. Fluid. Aios/clcs don't use distilled water, but a proprietary mix depending on manufacturer. Get the wrong kind and you'll end up with gel or clumps not fluid in the tubing.

It's really a lose-lose proposition unless you have a hybrid aio that uses standard G1/4 fittings.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I dont have liquid cooling , but couldn't someone just cut the hose and reattach a new CPU block/Pump? I mean of course youd have to know what your doing so no leaks etc … but would this not work? or does that kind of setup require a pump threw the reservoir. again Ive never liquid cooled so dont know, and more or less am just curious if that could work
And how would you refill this closed system? With what specific fluid?

If you're going to that level, build a custom system.