Can MSI OC models be forced to stock clocks as a persistent choice?

sunsanvil

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Looking at the currently available Gamer X versions of their cards, the way I read their material it looks like one can chose between Silent, Gaming, and OC modes, where the Silent mode corresponds to stock nVidia clocks. For example on the 1070 Gamer X they advertise clocking of:

1797 MHz / 1607 MHz / 8108 MHz (OC Mode)
1771 MHz / 1582 MHz / 8008 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1683 MHz / 1506 MHz / 8008 MHz (Silent Mode)

Do I read that right? If so, my main question is, is it a persistent choice or does an MSI utility need to be loaded always?

Since non-OC versions are not available right now, I'd like to get one an force stock clocks to try and reduce the power consumption down to FE's 150watts.

Solution
It's a BIOS switch on the card, it persists for as long as the switch is in the said position. You can switch to any other mode at will.

If you're worried about power consumption, look into undervolting the card.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
It's a BIOS switch on the card, it persists for as long as the switch is in the said position. You can switch to any other mode at will.

If you're worried about power consumption, look into undervolting the card.

Solution

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
For a CPU throttle - In this order:

Click the Start button and click Settings.
Click System.
Click 'Power&Sleep'.
On the right side click 'Additional Power Settings'.
Click 'Change Plan Settings' for your plan.
Click 'Changed Advanced Power Settings'. Power Options Dialog appears.
Click the + next to 'Processor Power Management'.
Open and set 'Maximun Processor State' to 98%.

Windows will now throttle your CPU overclocking to zero. This remains in effect until you change it back. Experiment with different values.

sunsanvil

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Do I take that to mean that even at stock clocks the MSI would draw notably more power than reference, or are you suggesting that it might be possible to get even lower than that through undervolting?

Thanks.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Thing with undervolting is much like with overclocking, but into the opposite direction. Every piece of silicon is unique and requires different amount of voltage to operate at certain frequency. Keeping that in mind, manufacturers have to find the lowest common denominator to make every card operate at the same frequency and voltage out of the box.

I can give you an example of my current situation. I own a Sapphire Nitro+ RX470 4GB that out of the box runs at 1260MHz at 1137mV. This is the case with every single card under that SKU.
I tinkered with it and got it to work at 1340MHz at 1100mV which means I overclocked and undervolted it at the same time, i.e. it runs faster and consumes less power and produces less heat in comparison to stock settings.