[SOLVED] Can MSI RTX 2070 Super gaming X Trio work on my PSU 550w

Aug 25, 2019
I want to buy sapphire MSI RTX 2070 Super gaming X Trio , can it work on PSU: XFX Bronze 550 watt.

(The PSU is already running Gigabite R9 280X wind force for 6 years)

Current PC specs :
PSU XFX Bronze 550 watt
i5 4670k 3.4 GHz
MSI Z87-G43 motherboard
16 GB (8x2) RAM DDR3 1600MHz
R9 280x

Solution
Unfortunately it's more or less the same quality with the TS series. An aged PSU has already degraded from it's state when it was new. That means that it will not output the wattage it did when it was new.

The fact that you somewhat were lucky enough not to have issues does not mean that you will keep being lucky and not damage GPU/CPU/Mobo/Ram.

A gaming rig should never have bad quality PSU. Most of the components inside are expensive and you are trusting a cheap (most of the time) PSU to power them. There are plenty of threads in these forums that numerous people go to full extent about the bad issues that can come from a bad quality PSU.
Aug 25, 2019
First of all the full model of your PSU is not in your specs. Check inside your case to make sure.

2070 Super needs a minimum of 650W PSU. If I am right, you have the TS series which is definitely not recommended for any gaming rig.
Thanks for the answer @dotas1

My PSU is
xfx pro 550w 80 plus bronze
Core edition

You can find it also in this link https://www.scan.co.uk/products/550...-550s-xxb9-80-plus-bronze-1x135mm-fan-atx-psu

it's a bit old but still running the R9 280x windforce.

In the official page for R9 280x it has a power consumption of 250w.
While the RTX 2070 Super has 215w.

Does that mean anything or I still can't run this card ?

Unfortunately it's more or less the same quality with the TS series. An aged PSU has already degraded from it's state when it was new. That means that it will not output the wattage it did when it was new.

The fact that you somewhat were lucky enough not to have issues does not mean that you will keep being lucky and not damage GPU/CPU/Mobo/Ram.

A gaming rig should never have bad quality PSU. Most of the components inside are expensive and you are trusting a cheap (most of the time) PSU to power them. There are plenty of threads in these forums that numerous people go to full extent about the bad issues that can come from a bad quality PSU.

Reactions: Mostafa134
Solution