[SOLVED] Can multimeter damage the CPU

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016
My motherboard is gone for repairs, and while the processor was laying around I did the series test with multimeter which has 9V battery in it, and all the pins of my ryzen 1600 according to multimeter were sort, issue is after my fooling around i thought could this have damaged the cpu and scared me, my motherboard is gonna come back in about 15 days so I'll know for sure but can you tell me is my processor okay so I could sleep better.

My motherboard is gone for repairs, and while the processor was laying around I did the series test with multimeter which has 9V battery in it, and all the pins of my ryzen 1600 according to multimeter were sort, issue is after my fooling around i thought could this have damaged the cpu and scared me, my motherboard is gonna come back in about 15 days so I'll know for sure but can you tell me is my processor okay so I could sleep better.

There is no point in worrying in things you don't have control over. If there is a solution you can do something. If there is nothing you can do, then worrying about it won't make the situation better.
-Dalai Lama

Just wait for the MB to come back and test it from there.

D

Deleted member 14196

no, 9v shouldn't be enough to fry anything. you should be ok. but curious as to why?
i hope it's ok anyway. it's hard to say without seeing the schematics of the cpu and what pins maybe you shouldn't touch. I wouldn't think it would damage it but who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The great_1

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016
You tested all 1331 pins did you?

I'm assuming you were just measuring resistance with your multimeter? No, that wouldn't damage it. Although you should always keep ESD safety in mind when handling computer parts like CPUs.
It was a series test that checks if the circuit is sort, anyway that's the test where a multimeter gives whole it's power for it, like if a multimeter has a 9V battery such a test would take 8 V atleast, so what i wanna say is I've subjected my ryzen 1600 to 9V dc current and is it gonna be fine?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It was a series test that checks if the circuit is sort, anyway that's the test where a multimeter gives whole it's power for it, like if a multimeter has a 9V battery such a test would take 8 V atleast, so what i wanna say is I've subjected my ryzen 1600 to 9V dc current and is it gonna be fine?
Ah, so a continuity test, where it beeps when touch the probes to the pins? That doesn't test for short circuit, it just tests to see if the DC resistance is less that some threshold (which may be user selectable). And what makes you think it applies the whole battery voltage across the probes for that test?

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016
Ah, so a continuity test, where it beeps when touch the probes to the pins? That doesn't test for short circuit, it just tests to see if the DC resistance is less that some threshold (which may be user selectable). And what makes you think it applies the whole battery voltage across the probes for that test?
hi, My knowing is not so precise, what I did was when I had to replace the battery of my multimeter I touched both points of battery with my tongue and felt the current and after replacing battery I tried to see which test gives most current, I put both the cable of multimer in my mouth and when reaching to continuity test I could felt the feel was identical with that of a battery.