Can my 650w psu handle Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WindForce 3X OC?

Jan_Ruc

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I have a 650w psu, Amd FX 8350 Black Edition 4.0Ghz overclocked to 4.6Ghz constantly, Team Group 8Gb 2400Mhz cl11 1.65v RAM, SSD Samsung 840 Evo, Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 MOBO, and one Hitachi 5400rpm HDD.... is there any chance my psu can handle Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WindForce 3x OC Gpu? Thanks

Solution
The INTER-TECH COMBAT POWER CP 650 is based on some variant of the CWT GP platform. That would be similar to what the Corsair VS Series is based on.

INTER-TECH COMBAT POWER CP 650 uses thin 20AWG wiring. That's not a safe thing.

Kube

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
As long as you're not running crossfire with 2 cards you should be fine provided it's a quality psu. I was recently looking into this question and currently running a 600W with a sapphire R9 290 tri-x. Just make sure your psu has the required amps for the 12v rail. Also if you google "computer power calculator" there are a few options to estimate your system power.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_radeon_r9_290x_windforce_3x_oc_review,10.html

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Not heard of that brand but it doesnt sound great...

But technically you have 60 amps available over 2x 30amp 12v rails. So it should be able to - but you would have to make sure you used a connection from each rail so it draws power from both.

Jan_Ruc

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
So far I have used many psu power calculators and it was always lower than 650w but I know that I can't use full psu power so what about that? Btw thank you both

Kube

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
You "can" use it, but have to consider amperage too. Also, when you use full power from your psu the heat generation is quite high. If it runs too hot it will, or should, either shut itself down or start throttling performance. Keeping it, or any component running at high temperatures or high load for extended periods of time will decrease life span. Some faster than others depending on quality of components.

Like RobCrezz, I've not heard of that brand before, so I can't contest to what type of capacitors are in it.

I'm running a Corsair 600W but planning on upgrading just to be on the safe side. A power supply can really ruin your system.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I try to give it a shot and check if your power supply can do the job.
processor: 125 W (and more for overclocking, i don't know, probably 150 W)

ram: maybe 8 W
ssd+hdd: max 6 W
motherboard: probably 30 W

graphics card: under load 216 W average and 341 W
> http://www.tomshardware.de/amd-radeon-r9-290-290x-test,testberichte-241458-4.html

Now, we have: 535 W
Add to that the pc case fans and that your psu looses power over time (after 1 year usag). And for extreme loads of all components together, say add at least 10% to whole usage (for extreme usage). Then probably at least 600 W should be your psu or more.

From these sites:
> http://www.cel.ro/surse/sursa-inter_tech-combat-power-pluus-650w-l/
> http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/229875/inter-tech-combat-power-cpm-650w/specifications
it says your psu can only deliver a maximum of 18 A on a 12V rail. It have 4 times 12V rails, so the cpu goes on one rail and the gpu on a different rail. Each rail is rated to 18 A and all 4 rails together can handle 45 A.

But I am not sure how to resolve the math for this. I know, its basic, but I just don't know.

Jan_Ruc

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I had my cpu under max load while editing videos and playing games at once but psu was just like chilling around 30-40 celsius and it was unhearable... and my cpu also uses around 60w max as shown in CPUID HWmonitor...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Tin can with a 650w paint job.

CWT made unit, utter trash. Lucky if you get 400w before it drops dead taking your computer with it.

Jan_Ruc

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
sorry but so far I have done many succesful stress tests on my AMD FX-8350 wich has 8cores running at factory clocks 4.0Ghz
and I've done many stress tests at oc to 4.8Ghz and left it on for about 8h psu didnt even got warm...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

It's your dime, bet the farm if you want to.

I got a bridge in brooklyn I am selling if you are interested.

You need a quality 650w to run your system.

Not an explosive tin can.

Jan_Ruc

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Well I'm not down for fights right now, I bought this psu beacuse it was cheap and friend recomended it to me beacuse of it's price and quality he is running one XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition and cpu AMD FX-9590 on the same psu as I have

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

That's the point here,often are cheap units also pretty crap ones.This one has,according to the specs,only one pcie cable/connector (am i right?) ,that says a lot too.

I don't agree that the gpu should draw from two rails,but i would like to see that coming from one rail so that the cpu can draw power from the other rail.If you need to use a molex->pcie adapter could you probably draw power from the other rail and,imo,would that not be a good thing.

As said is it up to you to try it anyway.

Kube

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Like i was saying before, i had a better quality power supply than you and was having voltage stability issues. I upgraded to a EVGA supernova G2 750W and it's completely stable now. The r9 290 series are power hogs, and so is that AMD 8350.

On paper, it appears that your system has the required amperage and wattage to run the system, but in my opinion it will either burn out very fast if it will support it at all. If it does, you risk your entire system. It's a tough choice, one i've had to come to terms with recently myself. What would be more expensive? Replace the PSU, or replace the entire PC?

The INTER-TECH COMBAT POWER CP 650 is based on some variant of the CWT GP platform. That would be similar to what the Corsair VS Series is based on.

INTER-TECH COMBAT POWER CP 650 uses thin 20AWG wiring. That's not a safe thing.

Solution

Jan_Ruc

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
All I wanted to know... Thank you guys for your time. I appreciate this. Anyway which psu would you guys recommend to me? So It has to handle that GPU and CPU other components should be no prob. And not THAT expensive limit of 90€

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Anything from Super Flower is a good choice. Look for 80+ Gold rated and you have a (efficient and quiet) biest. Read the reviews for it.

> http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/reviews/power-supplies/super-flower-leadex-gold-650w-power-supply-review/