[SOLVED] Can my b450 gaming plus max handle ryzen7 3700x overclock?

Aug 12, 2021
Bought a ryzen 7 3700x and im worried my mother board b450 gaming plus max cant handle the cpu overclock at 4.4Ghz
If not what motherboard do i need to use the cpu at 4.4Ghz with no issue ?

Solution
Bought a ryzen 7 3700x and im worried my mother board b450 gaming plus max cant handle the cpu overclock at 4.4Ghz
If the CPU is at all capable of running at a fixed 4.4Ghz it would need a motherboard with a VRM that can hold a solidly stable 1.2V under full load with minimal LLC settings. That's going to be something like an x570 Unify, B550 Unify or x570 Crosshair VIII Hero for the best odds of success.

But in the end it's completely up to the CPU to be able to do it with 'no issue'. Of course, your definition of 'issues' is also important. Most people consider it an issue if they can't get 10 min's of Prime95 even without AVX or Cinebench...
If the CPU is at all capable of running at a fixed 4.4Ghz it would need a motherboard with a VRM that can hold a solidly stable 1.2V under full load with minimal LLC settings. That's going to be something like an x570 Unify, B550 Unify or x570 Crosshair VIII Hero for the best odds of success.

But in the end it's completely up to the CPU to be able to do it with 'no issue'. Of course, your definition of 'issues' is also important. Most people consider it an issue if they can't get 10 min's of Prime95 even without AVX or Cinebench unlimited...so at least a couple hours. I doubt you'll get that with any motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
The difference between 4.4 and 4.2 is <5%. You are going to be spending money to ‘maybe’ achieve a performance boost that is only detectable in benchmarks. Why not just use PBO?

If single core performance is that important why not sell the 3700x and use the money you would put into a new motherboard into buying a 5600x or 5800x. That’s going to give you more performance for the money.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
The difference between 4.4 and 4.2 is <5%. You are going to be spending money to ‘maybe’ achieve a performance boost that is only detectable in benchmarks. Why not just use PBO?
True...but if he's just doing this to get better gaming performance, which is very light loads, then he might actually suffer an FPS decline at 4.2Ghz.

Whether that matters is arguable, but that properly set up PBO will keep it boosting at 4.4Ghz (one core at a time) or higher if he's not degraded his CPU already which will get the same gaming performance as his all-core 4.4Ghz overclock on an expensive new motherboard. The PBO will need much better cooling than stock, of course, but not as good as a 4.4Ghz fixed all-core.

My 3700X on PBO keeps one core (not the same one, of course) almost constantly at 4425Mhz while gaming which is all it needs.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021

If single core performance is that important why not sell the 3700x and use the money you would put into a new motherboard into buying a 5600x or 5800x. That’s going to give you more performance for the money.
Im only saying 4.4 cuz the 3700x turbo is 4.4 not gonna overclock over it, my question is can the board handle such?

Im only saying 4.4 cuz the 3700x turbo is 4.4 not gonna overclock over it, my question is can the board handle such?
B450 Gaming Plus Max VRM capability with a 3700X isn't much different from my B450 Mortar also with a 3700X. I can say quite confidently, based on my experience: no, it can't handle it with any level of stability. The VRM simply isn't designed to hold an extremely steady and low voltage on the CPU across heavy, but varying, loads.

3700X's turbo speed is actually a very heavy overclock that's it's only capable of at fairly light loads, and a single core at a time. The boosting algorithm takes care of managing that if you help it along with PBO.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021
B450 Gaming Plus Max VRM capability with a 3700X isn't much different from my B450 Mortar also with a 3700X. I can say quite confidently, based on my experience: no, it can't handle it with any level of stability.

3700X's turbo speed is actually a very heavy overclock that's it's only capable of at fairly light loads, and a single core at a time. The boosting algorithm takes care of managing that if you help it along with PBO.
Thank you i aprecciate the reply,
ill see what i can buy with my current budget so i can use my cpu 100% without any issue !