Question Can my build run with CV450?

Jul 15, 2020
Hello everyone. Can anyone help me to find out if my psu can support my build?

Ryzen 3 2200g
2x8 Corsair vengeance ddr4 3000mhz
sandisk 250gb ssd
Asus ex A320m gaming
GTX 780hall of fame
Corsair CV450

Im asking because 780's recommended psu is 600. before i reapplied paste and clean the gpu. my gpu sometimes shuts off mid gaming. the gpu gets hot easily so i have to point a desk fan to get 60-70c temp when gaming. i clean it earlier with contact cleaner and reapplied thermal paste and somehow helps decrease around 10c when gaming. i haven't thoroughly tested if ill get random shut down again. my friend told me my psu cant support my gpu that's why im getting this random shut down. hopefully somebody can point me to the right direction if i should get a better psu or i should retire my gpu. Thanks in advance!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
A quality 550W PSU would be just fine. 650 gives you more headroom, of course, but is a little bit of overkill.

I can't recall for sure, but I think the CV is barely a step up from the newer VS. With a power-hungry video card, those should be avoided.

See the first link in my sig for recommendations as well as what to avoid.

Jul 15, 2020
A quality 550W PSU would be just fine. 650 gives you more headroom, of course, but is a little bit of overkill.

I can't recall for sure, but I think the CV is barely a step up from the newer VS. With a power-hungry video card, those should be avoided.

See the first link in my sig for recommendations as well as what to avoid.

I decided to retire this gpu. as much as I love how it look. its hard to find affordable psu in my area. its either very cheap or very expensive. getting a new 550w+ psu is almost same price as getting new gpu. ill just get a gtx1050ti. i just play dota2 anyway. thanks for the replies!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, that's kind of the weird irony - depending on the performance level, it's almost better to go to a different GPU. PSUs are really overpriced these days.

Other things to consider, assuming you're buying a new GPU rather than used:
  • The GTX 780 consumes a max of 250W.
  • The 1050Ti performs less than the 780, and is only 75W max. Because it's previous generation, new versions, if available, cost more than the GTX 1650.
  • The 1650 GDDR5 performs better than the 1050Ti, but less than the 780, and is only 75W max.
  • The 1650 GDDR6 performs about equal to the GTX 780, and is only 75W max.
  • The 1650 Super outperforms the GTX 780 a little, and is 100W max.
  • The RX 570 is also about equal to the GTX 780 and the 1650 GDDR6. It can usually be found cheaper than the It's generally cheaper than the 1050Ti and all 1650 variants, but does consume up to about 150W. Not as bad as the GTX 780, but, if you're keeping your existing PSU, it's probably not a great idea.
I'm thinking that, again, assuming you're looking to buy new, the 1650, preferably the GDDR6 version, is the way to go. It's the least likely to stress your PSU. If going used, of course, prices are just whatever deals someone's offering.

Don't get me wrong, the CV isn't generally recommended for systems with add-in cards, but if you're keeping your power draw notably below the 450W rating of the PSU itself, you should be okay.

Reactions: thewailerz
Jul 15, 2020
Yeah, that's kind of the weird irony - depending on the performance level, it's almost better to go to a different GPU. PSUs are really overpriced these days.

Other things to consider, assuming you're buying a new GPU rather than used:
  • The GTX 780 consumes a max of 250W.
  • The 1050Ti performs less than the 780, and is only 75W max. Because it's previous generation, new versions, if available, cost more than the GTX 1650.
  • The 1650 GDDR5 performs better than the 1050Ti, but less than the 780, and is only 75W max.
  • The 1650 GDDR6 performs about equal to the GTX 780, and is only 75W max.
  • The 1650 Super outperforms the GTX 780 a little, and is 100W max.
  • The RX 570 is also about equal to the GTX 780 and the 1650 GDDR6. It can usually be found cheaper than the It's generally cheaper than the 1050Ti and all 1650 variants, but does consume up to about 150W. Not as bad as the GTX 780, but, if you're keeping your existing PSU, it's probably not a great idea.
I'm thinking that, again, assuming you're looking to buy new, the 1650, preferably the GDDR6 version, is the way to go. It's the least likely to stress your PSU. If going used, of course, prices are just whatever deals someone's offering.

Don't get me wrong, the CV isn't generally recommended for systems with add-in cards, but if you're keeping your power draw notably below the 450W rating of the PSU itself, you should be okay.

WOW! thanks for the tip! i just saw an available 1650 GDDR6 version right now and I can squeeze it into my budget, now I just need approval from my wife. LOL.

TRENDING THREADS