Can my Computer run a 4k monitor (light gaming/video)

Marcmichael

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hi everyone i would just like to know if my pc can run a 4k monitor. It is an older pc and has a i5-2500K CPU and AMD HD 6900 series graphics card. (can't find its max resolution) Just for lighter gaming such as LoL/CS and video playback. Thanks

Solution
Yes, your AMD 6900 can run a 4K monitor as long as you use the latest Catalyst drivers. Unfortunately, you will not be able to attain playable frame rates in most of the newer games with a single 6900, though you should be okay with playing Counter Strike. My recommendation is to upgrade to a R9 290X or GTX970 if you plan to play games in 4K. For games demanding more GPU power, you may need to get two cards and run Crossfire or SLI.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Yes, your AMD 6900 can run a 4K monitor as long as you use the latest Catalyst drivers. Unfortunately, you will not be able to attain playable frame rates in most of the newer games with a single 6900, though you should be okay with playing Counter Strike. My recommendation is to upgrade to a R9 290X or GTX970 if you plan to play games in 4K. For games demanding more GPU power, you may need to get two cards and run Crossfire or SLI.

Solution