[SOLVED] Can my D-link DIR 816 support 200mbps speed ?

jake_112

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
I have D-link DIR 816 and I can get only 100mbps on speed test on LAN and wireless, but my internet plan says I have 200mbps down and up speed.

I am getting a cat.7 cable to connect from my router to my PC.

So is it possible to reach a realistic speed of 180-190 mbps with my router ?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can not connect the switch to the ISP modem/cable. You only get 1 IP address. Only 1 device will function either your router or your PC. That is the reason you need a router. It is used to share the single IP you get from the ISP.
Buying a cat7 cable is a waste of money. This is where you need to understand how things really work. A cat5e cable can run 1gbit already. The key thing is it will only run at 1gbit if you plug it into 1gbit ports. If the ports are only 100mbps like your router has it will only run at 100mbps. This is the same as a cat7 cable. It can run at 10gbit but it will only run at 1gbit if plugged into a 1gbit port and only 100mbps if you plug it into your current router ports.

You need to buy a new router with gigabit ports.

jake_112

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
So I just found out that my router has 10/100 ports. So is there no way around this, to get that 200mbps ?
I just bought this router a year back and I don't want to buy another one just yet.

jake_112

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Sure there is, replacement. ;)

Ya gotta do some research on those bruh. Usually skimping out for a cheap unit ends up with similar undesired results.
The internet service provider upgrade my plan for free . So I got the extra 100mbps for at no cost. So I didn't know about the 10/100 port situation at time and I upgraded to the DIR 816 from a crappy router.

jake_112

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Will this TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Desktop Switch solve my problem. Can I use this to connect to my router for WiFi and to my pc ?

Nope it will give you gigabit between the devices inside your house but when you connect the switch to the router it will still be limited to 100mbps going to the internet.

You need to shop a little more carefully. Look for a router that has 1 gigbit wan and 4 gbit lan ports. Expect to pay about $50. A example is tplink archer c6 but there are many others you might find something on sale.

jake_112

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Just making sure what you said. Connecting the ISP LAN cable to the splitter and using the other open ports to connect one to the pc and connect the other to the router. This will give the PC 200mbps, but the router will remain at 100mbps(including the devices connected to it)

jake_112

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Then I'll look for a router that has a gigabit port when I purchase one. I'll post something if I come across any other potential solutions and you clear that up as well.
Thanks Gus.