[SOLVED] Can my gaming performance reduce if my cpu is at 87 C

Oct 21, 2019
I am wondering if my pc performance reduce comes from cpu heating becouse it was 87 degrees celsius whole time i played hearthstone.
My gpu temp is at 70 C (GT 640)
My cpu is Intel core 2 quad Q9550
I have also 8 gigs of ram (only ddr2 800mhz)

Or can it come elsewhere.
If my system is just bad.

Solution
Clock speed is only meaningful when comparing CPUs of the same generation. So that's not much to go on. If you can't identify the other equipment, then it's not evidence of anything we can use to examine your current PC's relative performance.

And yes, overheating can cause all sorts of things, from throttling to crashing.

Lutfij

Titan
Your platform is the issue, actually. In this day and age you should be on an entry level Ryzen system or something with a 7th gen i3.

If you're on the stock cooler, you could try and change the TIM under the cooler and see if improving the airflow in your case changes the overall temps when under load.

Oct 21, 2019
Okay, i think im gonna test to switch thermal paste.

I had worse pc once with exact same gpu and it ran fortnite better. (like 80 fps)
and with this current pc its 35-40fps with even lower settings. My worse pc had smaller cs fps still(like 60, this pc has 80-100. (same gpu whole time)

Sorry if you dont understand this message im bad at writing.

Oct 21, 2019
CPU 2.5ghz 4 core some old amd (dont remember exact name)
RAM (8gigs 800mhz too)
Same gpu (gtx 640)

(but i think that fortnite is more gpu based game, i had same drivers for gpu on both pc's)

so worse pc has 0.35ghz slower cpu (60fps in cs)
(slightly better pc has 80-100fps in cs)
(cs is cpu based)

and can overheating cause freezing because i get that on fortnite with better pc

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Clock speed is only meaningful when comparing CPUs of the same generation. So that's not much to go on. If you can't identify the other equipment, then it's not evidence of anything we can use to examine your current PC's relative performance.

And yes, overheating can cause all sorts of things, from throttling to crashing.

Solution