[SOLVED] Can my GPU be dead? (PC Crash/Doesn't Boot up with Driver Installed)

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I'll keep you updated about the final verdict for the GPU and then I'll mark this question solved

Hi, I have a frustration of da highest ordah. Yesterday i was playing GTA V and experienced first PC crash weird blue screen ( no text) with weird lines and PC froze, only sound running/looping, nothing worked i had to reset my PC. I googled and find out that it could be related to GTA V only and with GPU driver, so i updated my amd driver to latest version through radeon software ( i have Sapphire HD 7870 GHZ edition BTW), after that i started to experience PC crash ingame even more often, during GTA Online,RAGE MP and even single player. I though problem had to do something with my GPU driver , so i decided to install older one. Downloaded older version from GURU and installed it, during GTA V loading screen screen image distorted and PC froze again, now whenever i tried to restart my PC it would go to Windows 7 logo and freeze or give me black screen after that, basically PC wouldn't boot up.

In short, after that i used AMD Cleanup Utility( and DDU Once) to wipe out driver clean many times and tried installing different driver versions, but no luck PC won't boot with driver installed. If i delete my driver, PC boots up.

Weird thing is, i can change Primary GPU to "Onboard" ( I have Intel integrated) inside BIOS, but if i install my AMD GPU Driver my PC Crashes during installation ( BSOD) and won't boot up, when i delete it in safe mode everything starts working again.

I know i didn't give detailed info about my problem like PC Specs, logs e.t.c I will probably try to insert my GPU into another PC and test it there, but i just want to know what other ways i can check if my GPU is dead? Without driver my PC can still recognize it and automatically install Standard VGA Adapter Drivers.

EIDT: I have noticed while installing different versions of drivers, that the oldest( from the original cd) makes windows almost fully boot up and then crash, while other's freeze on windows 7 logo and turn black screen.This gives me hope that problem is related to driver or perhaps i damaged windows 7 somehow by installing/uninstalling files

EDIT 2: I have noticed, that at early stages of problem ( When only GTA would crash) my screen would flick on off during driver installation as normally throughout 7 years of owning my card.But when my pc started crashing on boot up, i noticed that screen no longer flickers.

(UPDATE)This has to be very important , because i think it's directly connected to the issue.I just realized something: When i was installing old drivers (including the one from the CD GPU came with) I noticed something weird - old amd software compared to radeon adrenaline gives you available software options you want to install ( like HDMI AUDIO DRIVER, GRAPHICS DRIVER E.T.C) and in older versions there was no graphics driver option displayed for me, that's weird because, when i bought my PC i installed driver for GPU from the disc and i remember it was there.This has to mean that old amd software doesn't even see/recognize my GPU anymore (probably because it has died) and only gives me option for HDMI Audio to install.Newer radeon adrenaline software just installs everything from the package.
One time i remember windows gave me notification that it couldn't read my GPU "BUS ID"? ( i had windows restarted when i plugged my GPU on another attempt to install driver) Maybe it's a communication problem between GPU and motherboard, i'm sure i have all mobo drivers installed.Do you have suggestions on that? Anyway, i have nothing more to do before i test my GPU in another PC

EDIT 3: Tried Windows system restore point, successfully restored my system back to days when i didn't have this problem, but it didn't fix the problem

EDIT 4: changed GPU thermal paste, didn't fix the problem

EDIT 5: I read somewhere that installing 15.11 beta drivers fixed the problem for some people. Link on Guru3d was broken, so i tried 15.1.1 beta instead. As a result i could advance further Windows boots up for couple seconds with screen tearing, image distortion and weird lines and then crashes. (UPDATE) I found 15.11 beta drivers on other website, still no fix

I'm assuming my GPU has met it's end after 7 years, I've read that those are the symptoms when GPU dies, also some users say it's hardware failure because of faulty cheap materials, which manufactures used in HD 7000 series. I couldn't test my GPU in another PC, if i have a chance I'll update you further

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
I cant help you out but i think you should know that many other owners of "older" AMD GPUs have the very same problem with the same syntoms like you in the last 7 days including me. I have no idea how this happend but i hope AMD will respond soon.

That said i have no clue to the solution of all this. I am running my PC on integrated graphics since 3-4 days and am looking for answers. So i suggest to wait the situation out. If you wanna talk more about the situation to me you can hit me up with a PM.

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I cant help you out but i think you should know that many other owners of "older" AMD GPUs have the very same problem with the same syntoms like you in the last 7 days including me. I have no idea how this happend but i hope AMD will respond soon.

That said i have no clue to the solution of all this. I am running my PC on integrated graphics since 3-4 days and am looking for answers. So i suggest to wait the situation out. If you wanna talk more about the situation to me you can hit me up with a PM.
Thanks for replying, gave me a motivational boost to search for a solution. Unfortunately i even tried to instal the driver from the cd my GPU originally came with and i encounter same problem, so i guess either i have messed with my files on windows and somehow damaged my gpu work or my GPU is really dead