Can my GPU fit in this enclosure?

GPUEnthusiast

Reputable
May 28, 2014
So I am building a friend a gaming PC. He wants a specific graphics card and a specific enclosure. He wants the triple-fan Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-X OC 3GB card, and the AeroCool Xpredator X3 White Edition for the enclosure.

Both Newegg and AeroCool's website state that the enclosure can accommodate up to a 310mm (12.205 inch) video card. The R9 280x Vapor-X is a 308mm (12.126 inch) long card. The question is how they measure the graphics card length clearance. Do they just measure from the back of the enclosure to the hard drive cages? Or do they actually have a maximum size that would fit comfortably? Because if it's the former, I'm going to be trying to fit a video card into this enclosure with 1mm on either side of it for clearance. I've never had a problem with GPU length before, but that's because I usually use dual fan cards. I've never had a triple fan card like a HD 7990 or the Sapphire special editions like the Toxic, Tri-X, or Vapor-X triple fan.

Can somebody instruct me as to what to do? Should I call them (AeroCool) and ask how they measured their clearance? Or should I order the enclosure first, and measure it myself? Worst case scenario is I get him a regular R9 280x from Sapphire or XFX or ASUS or something.

(Responses that say that the video card is a "crappy radeon card" or that the enclosure is "cheap" or that AeroCool makes "crappy stuff" will be ignored. The components are not my choice. Please stay on topic)

Solution
Hello... You are a good Planner/Builder... I would do Both, Call them AND wait till the case gets in my hands before ordering the Large video card... UNLESS you are planning/considering a different case option, ( for the larger card ).
Hello... You are a good Planner/Builder... I would do Both, Call them AND wait till the case gets in my hands before ordering the Large video card... UNLESS you are planning/considering a different case option, ( for the larger card ).

Solution

GPUEnthusiast

Reputable
May 28, 2014

Thanks for the compliment. I try to be very organized. Especially when I'm spending somebody else's money. I will go ahead and do both. I'm mainly worried because for all I know, they measured GPU clearance by just measuring the interior of the case from the hard drive cage to the rear of the enclosure, in which case that 310mm clearance becomes about 290mm (1cm on each side for clearance) to be reasonable. Expecting somebody to scrape a GPU past the case chassis pieces is ridiculous. I'll go ahead and comment back here when I have the case measured in hand, and with what they said over the phone.

GPUEnthusiast

Reputable
May 28, 2014
The enclosure arrived today. Graphics card fits like a charm. They said on the phone that it was the longest video card that they could comfortably fit in it would be about 310mm. I have about 2 cm to spare from hitting the hard drive cage on the enclosure. Instead of the 2mm I thought at first. The interior measures to about 335mm from hard drive cage to rear of enclosure. So far no problems.

Hello... Great, Well you know sometimes the GPU makers like to put those Power Connectors on the rear of cards, and they also like to use Oversize Fans too... Maybe they are accounting for that possibility. Imagine, Designing a perfect case for everyone and everything to FIT in it.
I have run into so many Upgrades problems cause of them Dam Drive Cages... And DVD drives, that would vary in size, and with CPU FAN Coolers height. B )