Can my hdd cause stuttering in game?

Jan 20, 2019
Hello i have alot of stuttering in some games, like gta v and battlefield 5 and pubg, just cause 3 etc etc, but im going to buy 8gb ram tomorrow then i will have 16gb of ddr4 2666mhz speed, i was wondering can my hdd be the issue also? or should the ram do the trick, this is my score on crystaldiskmark, my hdd speed is 7200rpm

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 132.171 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 129.032 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 0.456 MB/s [ 111.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 0.643 MB/s [ 157.0 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 0.531 MB/s [ 129.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 0.657 MB/s [ 160.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 0.253 MB/s [ 61.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 0.618 MB/s [ 150.9 IOPS]

stinto112

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
In open world games, stuttering is pretty normal if you are using a HDD as it has to write in a lot of things and sometimes the HDD may be too slow and therefore cause the odd stutter, especially when going into a new area. Those games you also mentioned will benefit highly on 16gb ram, especially battlefield 5 and GTA. What you are seeing is normal. Also PUBG is unoptimised and stutters for most people.

Jan 20, 2019
oh :eek: i really hope it does help me aswell, it should help alot, cuz the games i mention is the ones i had the stuttering with, and ive seen my pagefile being over 13-15gb and in pubg it used 7.9gb of my 8gb haha and in bf5 it uses around 7.4 so im hyped for tomorrow, i wanna be able to finally play without stuttering etc, cuz i bought new parts last week, ryzen 2600 new ram and motherboard

RAM helps because when Windows accesses the pagefile, it freezes everything else. It seems to treat the pagefile like memory, so to prevent prevent data corruption it freezes everything until the memory access is completed. More RAM = fewer pagefile accesses.

More VRAM can help because the GPU can then hold more textures in VRAM. When you have insufficient VRAM, the GPU dumps textures to make room. If those textures are needed again, they need to be read off the disk again. If the game is poorly coded and needs the textures immediately (i.e. it didn't pre-load them in the background when you got into an area where the texture might be needed), it will freeze while it waits for the disk to read the texture. Do note that this can be compensated for by reducing VRAM usage - easiest way is to turn down texture quality a notch.

Defragmenting the HDD can help. If the data is contiguous, then it can be read more quickly. So if the game needs to read textures off disk, it can do so more quickly, and the stutter will be shorter.

If you have a short HDD sleep timer set, the drive might go to sleep (spin down) while you're playing due to inactivity. When the game needs data off the disk, it then needs to wait for the drive to spin up to full rotation speed, which can take a second. The game will freeze during this time.

The 5400 RPM WD drives (Green, Blue, and SSHD) also suffer from an excessively short head parking timer. They will park the heads after about 10-15 seconds of inactivity. The next time the computer tries to access the drive, there's a short freeze while it unparks the head (about 100-250 ms). The 7200 RPM WD Blue drives might also be affected.