• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Can my HDMI to VGA adapter make my PC crash ?

Jul 3, 2020
Hello, I bought my PC a few months ago, I have only a VGA monitor (a surprisingly good monitor) and a crappy HDMI TV monitor that I bought a few years ago to play Xbox with. With that PC I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter. A few weeks after buying my PC, a had a first issue : the screen disconectend/reconnected directly. I didn't pay attention to this issue because it quickly disappeared. But about a month after I bought my PC, I faced another problem : my PC was crashing when I was playing games (AAA games or even LoL), but it was random : I could sometimes play 2 weeks or 1 day without any problems before facing a new crash... When my PC crash, it's very wierd : my screen freezes, the sound freezes (play the last tone again and again), then my monitor shuts down, the sound too, my PC's fans slow down (but don't stop) and there is the "EZ Debug CPU Led" lighting on on my motherboard (in white continuously) BUT my PC doesn't shut down ! I need to force its shut down (by pressing the power button for like 10s, and press it again to turn it on). I thought that the problem was coming from one of the components, so I brought the PC back to the shop where I bought it to do some tests, and the seller told me that it wasn't coming from the hardware (he did a lot of differents tests (GPU...)) and he did a bios update. Then he told me that it was certainly due to a program so I uninstalled a lot of games, Uplay, Origin, Parsec (with Revo) and it seemed to work since yesterday... Yesterday, my PC crashed when I was playing Valorant, so I went in the "reliability history" and I saw that it was due to my GPU's drivers, so uninstalled all my GPU drivers (with DDU) and installed them again. I saw that a lot of people using some HDMI to VGA adapters had the same issue, but they couldn't play more than 10min whereas I can play during 1 month (2~3h per session (2 sessions per day)). I am right now using my HDMI TV monitor, but I really can't play with it (it says that it is a 60hz monitor but it only do 30hz (I already tried to change it in the settings) and it has A LOT of input lag) so I don't know what to do and if the problem comes from the adapter...
My PC :
-CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 (in 3.9 Ghz Turbo Boost I think);
-GPU : Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX580 8gb;
-Motherboard : MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX;
-Ram : Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x4Go DDR4 2666Mhz CL 16:
-HDD : WD Blue 3.5"- 1To, 7200 rpm, SATA 6Gb/s, 64Mo cache;
-Power supply : Be Quiet! System Power 9 600W (80PLUS Bronze);
-Case : Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 (with one 120mm rear fan);
-1 Front fan : Be Quiet! Pure Wing 2 PWM High-Speed 120mm.
Thank you in advance, I hope that you could help me, and sorry for my bad english :s.

One of the OCCT reports : imgur.com/a/zLukdYc
My PC's reliability history (sorry, it's in french) : View: https://imgur.com/a/oo30SOJ

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS