Question Can my laptop take a SSD?

nishchal

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
In short..
Laptop : HP 15-bw084ax

1. In the official hp service document for the laptop is shows there is support for 2drives a sata and a m.2sata. Also shows support for hdd + sdd

2. On opening the laptop there was no m.2 female header. But rest (retention screw, markings on the mobo) were present.

3. Last option : I thought of buying a 2.5" ssd and a caddy instead to insert into the optical drive.
SiSoftware Sandra: shows in the motherboard > disks:
Channel = 1
Used = 1,100%

Anyone can help me understand this?
The portal I bought it from, shows people say that the caddy method is possible. I wanna be sure before I purchase a SSD.

Lutfij

Titan
If you've disassembled the laptop, you might want to take note of the thickness of the ODD(optical drive). From my image search it looks like 9.5mm, not the 12.7mm variant, I could be wrong though. Yeap, it's 9.5mm from an image search using the spare part number. You might also want to share a picture of the entire laptop's motherboard for us to be sure you're looking at the right end of the laptop.

In Device Manager, can you see what your Optical Drive is listed as?

Prior to buying your SSD and caddy, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. Also be a good idea to create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.