Can my Modem run my Router?

Cglass

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Can my Technicolor TG797n v3 Run my Asus RT AC 5300? So far ive tried having the Asus router hooked up to the modem and it says in the routers page that it has hasnt got a external IP but when i have it hooked only up to the router its fine. But i have to have it on the modem because my phone runs through the modem.

Solution
It may just mean it is a private ip rather than a public ip. Be sure that the technicolor is not using the same range of ip that the asus is attempting to use as its lan. I think by default the technicolor box uses a 10.x.x.x ip. The asus should accept that as a wan ip since it uses 192.168.1.1 as its default lan ip.
It depends what you are trying to accomplish. The technicolor box is actually a modem and router in a single box.

You should be able to put the wan port of the asus into a lan port of the technicolor and run router behind router. You have to be careful that the lan ip each router uses are different. Unless there is some software feature you need in the asus you should not run router behind router.

If you just want the fancy wireless you can run the asus as a AP. Your only other option is to put the technicolor into bridge mode (ie really make it into a modem) and run pppoe on the wan of your asus. I do not know enough about ISP installations that use technicolor to know if you can put it into bridge mode. It sorta depends how the phone service the box provides works.

It may just mean it is a private ip rather than a public ip. Be sure that the technicolor is not using the same range of ip that the asus is attempting to use as its lan. I think by default the technicolor box uses a 10.x.x.x ip. The asus should accept that as a wan ip since it uses 192.168.1.1 as its default lan ip.

Solution