[SOLVED] Can my motherboard handle a I5-4690k?

May 4, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if my motherboard could handle a I5-4690k cpu?
My pc i an ASUS G10AJ and currently holds a i5-4460

ken h

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
An easy, successful upgrade of a CPU needs attention to a few different things.

Socket type.
A new CPU has to use the exact same socket as the old one. Otherwise it won't fit and can not be used.

TDP.
The new CPU has to have the same or lower TDP number as the old one. Otherwise the CPU will draw too much power and possibility overheat and malfunction or die. Of course you can always upgrade the cooling system, but that takes a CPU upgrade from easy to much more complicated. Further, the motherboard also has it's limits and a CPU that draws more power than it's designed for could kill it.

Speed and cache.
Both should be as high as possible, at least higher than the old CPU for a worthwhile upgrade. In some cases only the speed can be faster, which is still worthwhile. The price of the upgrade CPU will determine if the faster processor, with or without a bigger cache is worth it.

Go to CPU World, search for the CPU you currently have, and at the bottom of the info page is a list of the related CPUs, which make picking an upgrade pretty easy. You also want to try and pick a new CPU that has the same or better feature set as the old one.

I'm sure others will have opinions on how my advice can be improved, but this approach is simple and has worked for me for decades.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS