[SOLVED] Can my motherboard support RTX cards?

Sep 16, 2019
Can all motherboards support RTX cards. I use a gigabyte 1060 and I was thinking of going to a 2080 super. (I don't know if this means anything but my board can only use up to an i7). I will ask again when I have the name of the board.

Solution
Your motherboard does support RTX cards. You should also upgrade your CPU if you want to buy a 2070/2080 because your current CPU bottlenecks those cards.

If you download the program I told you in my previous post, you can also see the motherboard's name. That will decide which i7 can be put on that motherboard. For example if it's a z170 or a z270 you can upgrade to a 7700k. If not, you can upgrade to a 7700.

You will also need a good cooling solution because i7s run hotter. What is your CPU cooler?
By saying I use an i5 is like saying I have a Toyota car. It does not give us much info. We have a reason to ask you about your CPU and PSU because a bad quality PSU can damage components. If the power delivery is not sufficient, then you will see performance drops and/or sudden shut downs of your PC.

Use a program to check all your components like this one:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

For the PSU if you do not know, open the case and look.

Please respond here with the necessary info.

Reactions: VeryBeginnerBuilder
Sep 16, 2019
By saying I use an i5 is like saying I have a Toyota car. It does not give us much info. We have a reason to ask you about your CPU and PSU because a bad quality PSU can damage components. If the power delivery is not sufficient, then you will see performance drops and/or sudden shut downs of your PC.

Use a program to check all your components like this one:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

For the PSU if you do not know, open the case and look.

Please respond here with the necessary info.

I just checked and I have a tx 650M by corsair so I can handle 650 watts

Sep 16, 2019
Provide us with all the system specs. Type "dxdiag" (without " ") in windows search bar or download a program like speccy that you can see your components.

Here are all the specs that I could find from that command:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 GHz (4 CPUs),
Memory: 12288MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA Gtx 1060 3gb
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

The rest is just display info

Your motherboard does support RTX cards. You should also upgrade your CPU if you want to buy a 2070/2080 because your current CPU bottlenecks those cards.

If you download the program I told you in my previous post, you can also see the motherboard's name. That will decide which i7 can be put on that motherboard. For example if it's a z170 or a z270 you can upgrade to a 7700k. If not, you can upgrade to a 7700.

You will also need a good cooling solution because i7s run hotter. What is your CPU cooler?

Solution