Question Can my motherboard use this kind of Ram??

Aug 2, 2019
I have an older Asus Maximus 3 Extreme motherboard with 4 2gb ddr3 Ram cards. I got some new corsair vengeance ddr3 1600 mhz ram 4 x 4gb. After install my system hangs on the brotherhood of gaming screen and i cannot get into either setup or bios by pressing del or tab.
Is there a way i can check if these are compatible or are they the wrong sticks for my ancient Mb.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. The QVL only tested a 2x stick kit, which will be a different model number than the 4x kit. Even though it's the same ram.

QVL is Qualified Vendor List, not Qualified Ram List.
It's where asus has taken a bunch of different ram at random, some on hand, some donated, some bought and tested it. They cannot and will not test everything available. There's over 7000 different models just in Gskill alone, if you added in Corsair, Adata, Patriot, Kingston, Samsung, Crucial and all the other vendors, you'd have a list several hundred thousand models big, which would take thousands of man-hours to test and compile and cost Asus a small fortune as this would need be done for every model motherboard in their lineup.

So they only test a few, which is fine since every kit on there is a repeat. There's only a handful of OEMs and they supply every vendor. If the Samsung B, D, X die works, it'll cover several series in multiple vendors. Since the ram is all the same, just a different paint job on the heatsink.

Now if there was no Corsair Vengeance at all, then I'd be worried, but there's several models, so no worries.

Last edited:

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
go to pcpartspicker.com and click new build. choose the motherboard first. I see an Asus Rampage Extreme 3 but I don't see an Asus Maximumus Extreme 3. Anyhow once you select a motherboard click on memory and many dozens of compatible RAM will come up.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
The fact that your system hangs up indicates you may have installed wrong (you have to use the right slots and avoid mix and matching ram) and that you've either exceeded system limits or are messing up in some way. Anyhow put your old ram back in and let crucial do a diagnosis.

Greg N

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op,

The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 2000(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600(O.C.) / 1333 / 1066 MHz.

You'll probably need to set xmp profile to get the ram to 1600MHz as it'll default to 1333MHz, but no, it shouldn't have any issues working. You may need to manually reset cmos by either jumper or battery method

Aug 2, 2019
The fact that your system hangs up indicates you may have installed wrong (you have to use the right slots and avoid mix and matching ram) and that you've either exceeded system limits or are messing up in some way. Anyhow put your old ram back in and let crucial do a diagnosis.

Greg N
I put the old Ram back in and the system ran properly.
Op,

The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 2000(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600(O.C.) / 1333 / 1066 MHz.

You'll probably need to set xmp profile to get the ram to 1600MHz as it'll default to 1333MHz, but no, it shouldn't have any issues working. You may need to manually reset cmos by either jumper or battery method
Update.. i re installed the old Ram and System runs smoothly. I tried installing only 1 and then 2 sticks of the new ram and Comp went to System repair startup screen. :(

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You need to reset cmos every time you change the ram.

Cmos is a list of settings and hardware for bios. When you boot up, cmos sends that list to bios, and bios runs with it. Bios doesn't bother checking anything beyond post.

So when you swap ram, the pc thinks the old ram is still in it, and you get an error because the new ram isn't recognised and setup. Put your old ram back in, it matches the cmos, and all good.

By resetting cmos, you erase the list and settings. This forces bios to physically check everything, pull all info, create settings, match everything up.

Aug 2, 2019
I reset the Cmos and now my computer is doing a red loop on startup. All fans work for about a second then shut off. This goes on constantly until i power off the unit. I have re seated the g4aphics card and ram but it is still doing it.
Any help much appreciated.

Aug 2, 2019
1. Is the voltage requirements of your new RAM the same as your old kit?

2. Have you tried pressing the "GO button" just below the 24-pin power connector on y
1. Is the voltage requirements of your new RAM the same as your old kit?

2. Have you tried pressing the "GO button" just below the 24-pin power connector on your motherboard?

Press the GO button before POST to enable MemOK!
Yes the new Ram sticks are compatible. After changing my Cmos Battery i cannot even get the system to boot properly. It seems to be stuck in a red boot loop and have tried reseating the Rams, Gc and go buttons. Nothing working.

Were the 4 sticks you bought all from the same matched kit?
What is the make/model part number?
If it is not a single matched kit, you likely have incompatibilities.

You likely would have been better off buying a 2 x 8gb kit.
4 sticks are harder to manage and the motherboard is dual channel only.

Ram will have a lifetime warranty. You might open an incident with Corsair support.

Aug 2, 2019
Were the 4 sticks you bought all from the same matched kit?
What is the make/model part number?
If it is not a single matched kit, you likely have incompatibilities.

You likely would have been better off buying a 2 x 8gb kit.
4 sticks are harder to manage and the motherboard is dual channel only.

Ram will have a lifetime warranty. You might open an incident with Corsair support.