Can my New CPU Go into this socket

Mar 2, 2018

I know that i have a DDR3 Gigabyte motherboard if that helps. And which AMD CPU Can compare to the i5 8400 and still go into my socket? or should i get a new motherboard?

SPECS:
AMD R7 260x OC - GPU
AMD fx (tm) 8300 (8x3,30ghz) CPU
8 Gigabyte RAM From Kingston
500 1-Arena Chieftech PowerSupply
Cooler Master Case, And a Extra Fan.
DDR3 AM3 Gigabyte Motherboard.
1 TB HDD

If i Forgot something please tell me.

Well the biggest problem is, all new stuff requires DDR4.
The best thing you can do, imo is to find a Z97 Motherboard and get an I5/7 4xxx that way you only need to change mobo and cpu for the cheapest upgrade. Or find something like a Z170 (GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3) and get a I5/7 6/7xxx again you don't need to change RAM
For more information on what you have you can download CPU-Z and it tells you everything about mobo/cpu/ram etc.

If you wanted to keep the old ram, maybe find someone selling their used Intel setup. I was looking on eBay a minute ago, someone was selling a gigabyte z77 board, i7 3770k and 16gb ddr3 buy it now price of 240 bucks. The 3770k is old, but if you could overclock it, I am guessing it would be a good upgrade.

The 260X is going to limit game performance in newer or more demanding games no matter what CPU you have.

Right now, if I was you, I'd use something like MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU usage in the games you play. Depending on the games you play, you might see CPU usage well below 100%, with GPU usage at or near 100%. This would confirm that your 260X is what needs to be upgraded.

You don't say why you want to upgrade, so I'm guessing it's game performance at 1080p. Also, depending on what videocard you choose, you may need a better power supply.

Latest posts