Can my new Dell 8400 use 3 HDs?

I an internal C: and an external Maxtor. Can I add another HD?

Out of curiosity, how many drives can be connected to a 8400 XP Pro
machine?

I suspect the limit is the Roman alphabet -- 26.

USB2 drives through hubs, etc.

Tom

joed@guess.where wrote:
> I an internal C: and an external Maxtor. Can I add another HD?
>
> Out of curiosity, how many drives can be connected to a 8400 XP Pro
> machine?

Three drives on 1 desktop shouldn't be an issue. I'd suggest using at
most two internal, and get a third external one (unless you've upgraded
your cooling and power supply). Bandwith wise, USB2 (480Mbps) &
Firewire (400 or 800 Mbps) are greater than a single drive, so there
shouldn't be any problems unless you're planning a fancy RAID setup.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:19:11 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
<sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>joed@guess.where wrote:
>> I an internal C: and an external Maxtor. Can I add another HD?
>>
>> Out of curiosity, how many drives can be connected to a 8400 XP Pro
>> machine?
>
>Three drives on 1 desktop shouldn't be an issue. I'd suggest using at
>most two internal, and get a third external one (unless you've upgraded
>your cooling and power supply). Bandwith wise, USB2 (480Mbps) &
>Firewire (400 or 800 Mbps) are greater than a single drive, so there
>shouldn't be any problems unless you're planning a fancy RAID setup.

With the comp makers no longer giving manuals showing the internal
layout of comps, I don't want to screw around with mine because I'm a
total klutz at these things. Externals were a big blessing for ones
such as myself.

Ain't trying anything fancy. I just plugged my first external in a USB
socket and that was that. Simple and neat. it came with its own power
supply, so that negates any power supply problem.

I guess I should go to Google and read up on this USB stuff. I just
moved up from an old Win 98 machine to one with XP Pro.

Thanks to all who answered my question.

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jf18e.4656$dT4.4042@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

> [] Bandwith wise, USB2 (480Mbps) & Firewire (400 or 800 Mbps)
> are greater than a single drive, []

Based on the benchmarks I've seen at Storage Review and elsewhere, I'm
under the impression that many modern ATA drives can achieve sequential
transfer rates of 50-60 MB/s on their outer tracks, and some SATA drives
can achieve 60-70 MB/s. Furthermore, I'm under the impression that both
burst at even higher rates [to and from their buffer]. What can USB 2.0
Hi-Speed and Firewire 400 actually achieve?

The 60MB/s and 50MB/s numbers sound good, but I don't recall ever
seeing benchmarks that approached those rates. The external usb and
firewire enclosure benchmarks I recall seeing reached the upper 30's
(MB/s) for Firewire 400 and the lower 30's for USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.
Which suggested to me that both interfaces would be a bottleneck.

A quick Google...
http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20030411/wd_external_hd-09.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041206/index.html

User N wrote:

> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> [] Bandwith wise, USB2 (480Mbps) & Firewire (400 or 800 Mbps)
>> are greater than a single drive, []
>

> Based on the benchmarks I've seen at Storage Review and elsewhere, I'm
> under the impression that many modern ATA drives can achieve sequential
> transfer rates of 50-60 MB/s on their outer tracks, and some SATA drives
> can achieve 60-70 MB/s. Furthermore, I'm under the impression that both
> burst at even higher rates [to and from their buffer]. What can USB 2.0
> Hi-Speed and Firewire 400 actually achieve?
>
> The 60MB/s and 50MB/s numbers sound good, but I don't recall ever
> seeing benchmarks that approached those rates. The external usb and
> firewire enclosure benchmarks I recall seeing reached the upper 30's
> (MB/s) for Firewire 400 and the lower 30's for USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.
> Which suggested to me that both interfaces would be a bottleneck.
>
> A quick Google...
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1150025,00.asp
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20030411/wd_external_hd-09.html
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041206/index.html

You know, I've never really looked into it, but you seem to be correct,
despite the high theoretical bandwith, the average bandwith is a bit
lower. In the first article, the drive was sustaining over 30MB/s in
USB2, which ought to be more than enough for most intents and purposes.
My main concern would be the CPU uitlization of external drives. They
don't support DMA, so the majority of the transfer overhead hits the
CPU. From what I just read, Firewire tends to use less CPU, and again,
if you just have one external drive this shouldn't be an issue.

joed@guess.where wrote:
> I an internal C: and an external Maxtor. Can I add another HD?
>
> Out of curiosity, how many drives can be connected to a 8400 XP Pro
> machine?

I have 4 in mine; 2 SATA & 2 EIDE (no internal optical drives) with 2
open SATA connectors on the mobo.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:15:57 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:

>joed@guess.where wrote:
>> I an internal C: and an external Maxtor. Can I add another HD?
>>
>> Out of curiosity, how many drives can be connected to a 8400 XP Pro
>> machine?
>
>I have 4 in mine; 2 SATA & 2 EIDE (no internal optical drives) with 2
>open SATA connectors on the mobo.

I'm thinking of getting a second outboard jobber and forget about
counting on CDs for program backups. Too many of the CDs I burn
simply don't work later.