[SOLVED] Can my old motherboard support new gpu

Nov 3, 2018
Hello, i want ask.
Can my old motherboard handle new gpu. My mother board is msi P45 with LGA 775 ddr2 ram
My plan is to buy between gtx 960, gtx 1050 and gtx 1050ti
Previously i use gtx 660 and work well

sorry bad English

Solution
I keep hearing that, but I also keep running into a LOT of people who cannot resolve the failure for the 1000 series cards, and I would assume the 2000 series as well, to be recognized and provide even basic display functions on older motherboards that are at least a generation removed from the change to full UEFI firmware.

I've seen at least twenty to thirty instances where no current enough bios version was ever released to support the architecture/series or for whatever reason, they simply won't work even with full bios resets using the battery method and breadboarding techniques. Without hardware level firmware support, some of those old boards wouldn't even support some of the newer (But now old) cards prior to these mainly UEFI...
Maybe, but it's rather doubtful. A lot of people have been having no luck running those UEFI graphics cards on very old legacy bios based motherboards like that one.

If it has a bios update available that directly pertains to support for newer graphics cards, from within maybe the last three years, then it might. Otherwise, I'd stick to the 900 series and older cards like the 960 or 770/780.

Having a PCIe x16 slot has very little to do with it other than the card actually fitting.

I've installed many times pascal cards on old dell optiplex systems with core 2 quad CPUs(q6600, q9550,...). I've never had a problrm with them. They also had really old legacy BIOS versions.
They have proprietary motherboards so compatibility issues should be a bigger problem there.

Recently installed a GT 1030 in a Dell Inspiron 530(from 2007) with a FoxConn G33m02 motherboard and a C2D E8400 in it... runs really well with it.
In my opinion a pascal card will most likely work with that motherboard.

I keep hearing that, but I also keep running into a LOT of people who cannot resolve the failure for the 1000 series cards, and I would assume the 2000 series as well, to be recognized and provide even basic display functions on older motherboards that are at least a generation removed from the change to full UEFI firmware.

I've seen at least twenty to thirty instances where no current enough bios version was ever released to support the architecture/series or for whatever reason, they simply won't work even with full bios resets using the battery method and breadboarding techniques. Without hardware level firmware support, some of those old boards wouldn't even support some of the newer (But now old) cards prior to these mainly UEFI cards.

I'd like to agree, because I've seen SOME of them work on very old boards. But I've also seen a lot of them that haven't, even on boards that weren't as old. Much probably depends on the manufacturer and whether it was an OEM board or not too. Most of the OEM boards have never received any updated bios through the years, and those are very unlikely to work with the newest cards, or at least less likely than with an aftermarket card from one of the four main brands.

I don't even think that, in those cases where they won't work, it's a UEFI vs non-UEFI problem, per se, at least in all cases. I think it's simply a lack of support compatibility due to old firmware that doesn't have hardware level support for even newer PCI 3.0 non-UEFI architecture in some cases. That's the only reason I can think of but then again I am not a hardware engineer. There are a few guys around here who could probably answer the "why's" more directly than me. InvalidError and a couple other engineer types likely can explain exactly why.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe it's a worthwhile subject for Tom's experts to do a write up on to explain how it works and whats particular about certain motherboards and firmware and give an insight why some older mobos can operate with newer cards and others don't.

I've looked into it quite a bit (just general forums) and have seen many successes and those unsuccessful ive found mostly are running oem boards. Would be interesting to know how it all works and whats missing exactly on older motherboards that aren't working with uefi cards. I've also noticed a trend where some uefi AMD cards can be more trouble on legacy boards where Nvidia can be more forgiving. It's just an observation, nothing concrete i assume as is with my attempts searching the webs. Who knows, there could be a bit of bs spun as well at a few places. Anyhow i think the impression i got is lga775 would be the oldest platform to try attempt an uefi card on with uncertain guarantees. I wasn't expecting a 1070 to work on my older lga1366 system in my sig either but luckily it did (quite the imbalance cpu i know lol but it became a hand-me-down part), the bios was updated long before i put it in there (originally it had a GTX780) so couldn't say if it still would have worked.

Official information on this is probably out there somewhere, not that i've seen. Might be worth Tom's doing a potential first clarification on the matter. Probably too little too late though i guess.

Not really. There are still a LOT of people with older systems that want, and should, be able to keep using them if they can't afford to upgrade the platform. One place I generally am able to find a lot of far more helpful articles and information of this type is at pugetsystems.com, but I don't see anything specifically pertaining to that.

I think for me, rule of thumb is generally if there are no bios updates available for a board within the last five years, don't get a UEFI card unless you KNOW it will run on it based on user verification elsewhere. I'm sure that's no kind of hard fast rule, but where OEM boards are concerned, especially, I think it's a safe bet. For aftermarket boards, those guys are pretty fair at keeping the bios relevant on mid to high end boards. Not so much on lower tiered boards or budget chipsets.

@darkbreeze Maybe you're right in your statement. Is just that I've never encountered problems when installing pascal GPUs on Dell OEM LGA775 boards.

I was assuming that because, for example the latest BIOS update for that Inspiron 530 was from 2009... that combined with the oem board should be a worst scenario type thing.

So yeah, that apparently doesn't apply to every mobo and compatibility issues may occur.

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
yeah. I am one of the unlucky persons I brought a gtx 1650 and my gigabyte g41m2t can not run it when nvidia driver installed, monitor loses signal, tried every possible way and tried useing my parts in other pc as well, my graphics run on a i3 cpu and mobo but do not run in mine. how unlucky, if I had brought a 1050ti then it might work without any problem.