[SOLVED] Can my pc handle a 144hz monitor

Soloontop

Commendable
Aug 29, 2019
i currently play on an NVIDIAgt 1030, FX 8350 processor and my motherboard is an ASRock 970m Pro3. i use a 75hz monitor and play fortnite on the lowest graphic settings with 70 hz for consistent frames. if i buy a 144hz monitor would it be useless or actually help my framerates? is my pc good enough to push out that much frames?

Solution
It won't improve your performance. You're limited by an entry-level GPU and an ancient platform that was poorly designed for gaming even back then. The only reason I'd consider buying a 144 Hz monitor is if you're making major upgrades in the near future.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
i currently play on an NVIDIAgt 1030, FX 8350 processor and my motherboard is an ASRock 970m Pro3. i use a 75hz monitor and play fortnite on the lowest graphic settings with 70 hz for consistent frames. if i buy a 144hz monitor would it be useless or actually help my framerates? is my pc good enough to push out that much frames?

Hi @Soloontop

If you turn vsync off, what are your FPS ingame now? Your FPS cap is limited to your vsync not your monitors hz. (Among other settings, such as having free/g.sync enabled but basically this) With a powerful enough system, a 60hz monitor with vsync off could display 144fps. (You'd prob. get a lot of screen tear, hense vsync) So just getting a monitor that has a native hz of 144, won't "give" you higher FPS. If you have vsync enabled, it'll cap your FPS to your monitors current hz. So say you have your monitor set to 1080p @ 75hz, in-game, you'd only get up to 75 FPS. Same for other resolutions & hz.

"Is it good enough" entirely depends on the game you're wanting to play and the visual settings you have enabled. Some games can be on ultra low and every single bit of eye candy disabled and if the GPU, in your case, your 1030, isn't powerful enough, it'll not be able to push 60 FPS, much less 144. What games do you want/are trying to play?

Do you have any intention to upgrade? Whats the rest of your system look like? Namely how much RAM and it's speed, your 8350 is DDR3, and what type of PSU does your system have? If upgrading your system isn't possible right now, you may want to think about at least a better GPU (depending on your PSU and if it's powerful enough) and if you have 8GB of DDR3, especially if it's mixed speed & sized, on getting a matching kit for 16GB.

Really depends on what you want. More info please.

Last edited:

Soloontop

Commendable
Aug 29, 2019
Hi @Soloontop

If you turn vsync off, what are your FPS ingame now? Your FPS cap is limited to your vsync not your monitors hz. (Among other settings, such as having free/g.sync enabled but basically this) With a powerful enough system, a 60hz monitor with vsync off could display 144fps. (You'd prob. get a lot of screen tear, hense vsync) So just getting a monitor that has a native hz of 144, won't "give" you higher FPS. If you have vsync enabled, it'll cap your FPS to your monitors current hz. So say you have your monitor set to 1080p @ 75hz, in-game, you'd only get up to 75 FPS. Same for other resolutions & hz.

"Is it good enough" entirely depends on the game you're wanting to play and the visual settings you have enabled. Some games can be on ultra low and every single bit of eye candy disabled and if the GPU, in your case, your 1030, isn't powerful enough, it'll not be able to push 60 FPS, much less 144. What games do you want/are trying to play?

Do you have any intention to upgrade? Whats the rest of your system look like? Namely how much RAM and it's speed, your 8350 is DDR3, and what type of PSU does your system have? If upgrading your system isn't possible right now, you may want to think about at least a better GPU (depending on your PSU and if it's powerful enough) and if you have 8GB of DDR3, especially if it's mixed speed & sized, on getting a matching kit for 16GB.

Really depends on what you want. More info please.
i have 16gb ddr3 ram and 800mhz speed, i'm not able to see any psu label or sticker anywhere in my pc is there an alternate way to find out power supply? also im playing fortnite and with the lowest graphic settings i run a smooth 70 fps but when i uncap it, it goes anywhere from 30-130 fps but very inconsistent i have a acer monitor 75hz

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
It won't improve your performance. You're limited by an entry-level GPU and an ancient platform that was poorly designed for gaming even back then. The only reason I'd consider buying a 144 Hz monitor is if you're making major upgrades in the near future.

Solution

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
The next question then would be is your RAM a matching kit of 2x8GB or mixed sizes? Of course you have all drivers up-to-date? Is your 8350 stock or OC'd? What are your temps? Stock HS&F or aftermarket cooling? Do you have the newest Bios for your mobo? If upgrading now isn't an option, I'd really advise against putting any more money into the FX system as it's long in the tooth. A new GPU would help push a little more life out of your system and then if you did upgrade at a later time, then you could transfer that over to the new system. Personally, I'd strongly advise a new GPU over a new monitor.

As for your PSU, you may have to take it out as the sticker may be on the back side of it, hidden.