Can my pc run a gtx 1060? And shall i get it from Gigabyte or MSI

patrickk08

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
hey guys at the moment i got a Nvidia geforce gtx 660 videocard and i think about upgrading to a gtx 1060. can my pc run it is my 1st question?
specifications:
cpu: intel core i7-3770 @3.4 ghz
ram: 8.2 GB

Also i wasn't sure wether i should get the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6G (€ 329,-)
or the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G (€ 369,-). They look the same to me.

Solution
Coil whine usually just occurs when you have 200+ fps, which you shouldn't have if you use Vsync. And MSI for me is like somewhere on 4th or 5th choice position.

Depends what games you want to play. And settings. Witcher 3 on 1060 is at 40-70 fps depending on Ultra settings with features on or off + depending on the area you are in. So not complete smooth max settings 60fps. But then again Witcher is like the most demanding and decent optimized game. Everything else (ignoring poorly optimized games) should run at max settings 1080p 60fps FOR NOW

Patrick_10

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
if your question is if the gpu will work on your current setup the answer is it will. bottlenecking wil only occur if you play aaa games with high resolution and ultra settings. if you are planning on playing games with 1080p resolution there wouldn't be any problem. as for whether getting the gigabyte or msi it really comes down to preference. personally i'm using the msi gtx 1080 gaming x on my current setup for almost a year now and haven't encountered anything wrong with it so far.

patrickk08

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017

alright thanks for the info man! If its just about preference i think i will go for the gigabyte since its a lot cheaper in my country. Although i've heard some cases in which the gigabyte gtx 1060 got some problems with coilwhine? And do you think a 1070 or 1080 is worth it? i've been looking at them but they are like €150/300 more expensive. Not sure if its very price efficient.

CPU is fine. I will go with MSI since Gigabyte has way more bad reviews... For 1080p gaming, 1060 should be good enough for most games. 1070 is entry 4k, overkill for 1080p

Cioby

Distinguished
Coil whine usually just occurs when you have 200+ fps, which you shouldn't have if you use Vsync. And MSI for me is like somewhere on 4th or 5th choice position.

Depends what games you want to play. And settings. Witcher 3 on 1060 is at 40-70 fps depending on Ultra settings with features on or off + depending on the area you are in. So not complete smooth max settings 60fps. But then again Witcher is like the most demanding and decent optimized game. Everything else (ignoring poorly optimized games) should run at max settings 1080p 60fps FOR NOW

Solution