[SOLVED] can my pc run this gpu?

Oct 3, 2020
upgrading our old pc to a today's gaming pc, just started from a GPU which is RX 580 4GB, I just wonder if this old pc can handle that, will the cpu limit the gpu usage? I use generic PSU(bought not long time ago) but with AVR, will it shut down the pc rather than getting damaged?
CPU:AMD Athlon II x2 260
MOBO:N68S3B
PSU:LC-8600BTX

Solution
Simple answer is NO. There are too many things wrong with your current specs in order to drop in a power hungry GPU like the RX580. The PSU will not shut itself off, most likely it'll explode and take everything out with itself.
Oct 3, 2020
Simple answer is NO. There are too many things wrong with your current specs in order to drop in a power hungry GPU like the RX580. The PSU will not shut itself off, most likely it'll explode and take everything out with itself.
LOL, Thx for the info, just gotta get a psu next then

LOL, Thx for the info, just gotta get a psu next then

The PSU is not your only problem; your 2 core / 2 thread CPU is positively anemic by anything approaching modern standards and will slow your GPU down and every turn.

To be perfectly honest, there is nothing about this system that strikes me as capable of playing anything more resource-intensive than an in-browser game. The modern baseline is a 4 core / 8 thread processor and at least 8 GB of RAM. Anything less will not be able to fully utilize a RX 580.

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
upgrading our old pc to a today's gaming pc, just started from a GPU which is RX 580 4GB, I just wonder if this old pc can handle that, will the cpu limit the gpu usage? I use generic PSU(bought not long time ago) but with AVR, will it shut down the pc rather than getting damaged?
CPU:AMD Athlon II x2 260
MOBO:N68S3B
PSU:LC-8600BTX

Dont waste your money, That CPU....it's like bringing a Musket into a modern war field. With regard the PSU, The wattage is not what i worry, does it have the relevant Connectors? considering the age of that thing...

Oct 3, 2020
The PSU is not your only problem; your 2 core / 2 thread CPU is positively anemic by anything approaching modern standards and will slow your GPU down and every turn.

To be perfectly honest, there is nothing about this system that strikes me as capable of playing anything more resource-intensive than an in-browser game. The modern baseline is a 4 core / 8 thread processor and at least 8 GB of RAM. Anything less will not be able to fully utilize a RX 580.
Thx for the response but I also will get a new cpu soon

Oct 3, 2020
That psu is 10 bucks Lol

A CPU upgrade is going to require a new motherboard (there are no good CPUs out there compatible with your current motherboard), which also means new RAM. Combine that with your new power supply and new GPU, you're a PC case away from building yourself a new PC at this point.
I have planned that, but not sure if the mobo would be fine, i5 9100f with msi h310m pro-m2 plus. LOL i just picked the cheapest possible compatible, I would love to know tho if I should get a bit better than that

Oct 3, 2020
I have planned that, but not sure if the mobo would be fine, i5 9100f with msi h310m pro-m2 plus. LOL i just picked the cheapest possible compatible, I would love to know tho if I should get a bit better than that
Everything will actually fit with my pc case but has no many cooler slots, but do i really need such?

These days, building an Intel-powered system doesn't make sense for most people unless they are buying one of the more expensive CPUs. For everyone else, an AMD Ryzen system has a better dollar to performance ratio.

As such, I would recommend you a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 3400G CPU. Ryzen CPUs need fast RAM to function well, so make sure you pair it with (2) sticks of 8 GB RAM that is rated to run at 3200 MHz. Slower RAM will slow down the CPU, as will buying only one stick of RAM (you should have 16 GB of RAM total).

The integrated graphics in this CPU actually function quite well; you should buy these parts, try them all together, and if you like your gaming performance, you're done. If you want more gaming performance, you'll then need a more powerful and higher quality PSU to pair with the RX 580.