Question Can my psu fry everything in my pc?

Aug 15, 2019
My psu fried, good that it didn’t catch fire. Is it possible that it broke the entire pc? I can’t really try because i don’t have another psu. If my friends would let me borrow their psu for this purpose could it break it if the system doesn’t work?

logainofhades

Titan
If it was the CXM model, that is a decent quality unit. If it was a VS model, not very good quality, but not fire hazard level of poor quality. Even with a quality unit, the chance is there, for other things to die with the PSU, but the probability is far lower, than that of a very poor quality unit.

Aug 15, 2019
If it was the CXM model, that is a decent quality unit. If it was a VS model, not very good quality, but not fire hazard level of poor quality. Even with a quality unit, the chance is there, for other things to die with the PSU, but the probability is far lower, than that of a very poor quality unit.
Vs unit :( Should I even bother to check? I have a home varranty and have to pay only 150 to 200€ for them to completely replace the pc. That isn’t a lot compared to the pcs price

Vs unit :( Should I even bother to check? I have a home varranty and have to pay only 150 to 200€ for them to completely replace the pc. That isn’t a lot compared to the pcs price

IF the PSU fried any of your components and the PSU is still under warranty, you can file a claim with Corsair for the damaged parts (you'll have to send them into Corsair) and it won't impact your insurance rates like a home owners or renters insurance would.

Reactions: Countess_C
Sep 24, 2019
Although very unlikely, it is possible for a motherboard to fry a PSU, I have seen it a couple of times. If you pair a cheap mobo (one that is prone to blowing its capacitors/does a bad job at diverting the output current from PSU/shorts its circuits) with a substandard PSU, all kind of stuff can happen.

That said, it is unlikely something like that happened to you. I had some cheap PSUs dying on me, you'll probably get away with just replacing the PSU. Even the crap-tier ones nowadays should have overcurrent protection and other safety mechanisms. Just be sure the replacement one has enough wattage to power your system. If it doesn't it might fry by virtue of all the heat it generates in trying to supply the demand of your PC.