Question can my psu power my new graphicscard

Shoot_happens

Prominent
May 21, 2019
My friend has an old pc with a 650w bronze+ psu and a i7-3770k. recently he just bought a new msi rx 580 8gb OC
and today i talked to a guy that said maybe the graphicscard doesn't get enough power. the PSU is very old (around 2011-2012)
is that the problem? the blades run, but there is not signal to the keyboard or monitor. not even BIOS
or the guy also said it could be because of MSI motherboards not working with Radeon graphicscards

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That is a very low quality PSU and it was bad in it's prime. After 10-11 years it's probably less than useless.

I wouldn't even try switching it on as long as it is connected to the rest of the system.

Get a good quality PSU ASAP such as EVGA 650W G2 or SeaSonic Focus Gold or Corsair RMx 650W.

Shoot_happens

Prominent
May 21, 2019
That is a very low quality PSU and it was bad in it's prime. After 10-11 years it's probably less than useless.

I wouldn't even try switching it on as long as it is connected to the rest of the system.

Get a good quality PSU ASAP such as EVGA 650W G2 or SeaSonic Focus Gold or Corsair RMx 650W.
But a 650W is fine?

Your psu has the required 6 and 8 pin connectors.
So, in theory, your unit meets the specs.
The caveat is that over time a psu can deteriorate and if it should fail under load it can damage other parts.
Since the psu has been running ok in the past, I would not suspect the psu as your problem.
It is not clear why your pc does not run.
Since the new component is the graphics card, I would suspect that first.
Have both of the 6 and 8 pin psu connections been made to the graphics card?
Is this a used rx 580? Perhaps it has been damaged by mining.
Does the pc run if you use the integrated graphics?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
could be because of MSI motherboards not working with Radeon graphicscards

Anyone who tells you stuff like this cannot be trusted, as its complete and utter malarkey.

I agree with above, its enough power, but its age and low quality even when it was new makes me suspicious. Also need to check the obvious like is his monitor plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard, stuff like that.

Shoot_happens

Prominent
May 21, 2019
Your psu has the required 6 and 8 pin connectors.
So, in theory, your unit meets the specs.
The caveat is that over time a psu can deteriorate and if it should fail under load it can damage other parts.
Since the psu has been running ok in the past, I would not suspect the psu as your problem.
It is not clear why your pc does not run.
Since the new component is the graphics card, I would suspect that first.
Have both of the 6 and 8 pin psu connections been made to the graphics card?
Is this a used rx 580? Perhaps it has been damaged by mining.
Does the pc run if you use the integrated graphics?
It does run with the integrated graphics, it is a new graphicscard

Shoot_happens

Prominent
May 21, 2019
Anyone who tells you stuff like this cannot be trusted, as its complete and utter malarkey.

I agree with above, its enough power, but its age and low quality even when it was new makes me suspicious. Also need to check the obvious like is his monitor plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard, stuff like that.
Yes. everything has been plugged correctly to the mobo and monitor.