Can my PSU run HD7850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i'm planning to buy an AMD HD7850 1GB OC edition but i'm not sure if my psu can run it...

my current pc:

Cooler Master Extreme Plus 550w
AMD FX-6100 3.3 GHz
ATI HD 5770 1 GB GDDR5
1x4 Gb RAM DDR3 1333 MHz (i'll expand to 8 Gb)
1x Hard Disk
1x super multi (DVD/CD-RW) burner
Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-MLX PLUS

Solution
G
you may be able to with not putting a 100% load on the PSU however it is a horrible unit, like most all the eXtreme power+ series:

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W Power Supply Review
Conclusions

Although some can see Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W as an option if you are not going to pull 550 W from it, we can't recommend this unit, as it burns if you try to pull its rated wattage. Its main technical problem is efficiency, between 73.2% and 77.5%, which would prevent us from recommending this unit even if it could deliver its labeled power.

G

you may be able to with not putting a 100% load on the PSU however it is a horrible unit, like most all the eXtreme power+ series:

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W Power Supply Review
Conclusions

Although some can see Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W as an option if you are not going to pull 550 W from it, we can't recommend this unit, as it burns if you try to pull its rated wattage. Its main technical problem is efficiency, between 73.2% and 77.5%, which would prevent us from recommending this unit even if it could deliver its labeled power.

Solution
G

and what about of a Corsair GS600 gaming series 600 watts? is it a good choice?

G

if you are NOT overclocking that FX-4100 then a CX 430 will do; CX 500 if you are and/or a 550 watt if you want to upgrade to a better graphics card later.

(edit: that antec VP 450 linked above is another great choice!)

Status
Not open for further replies.