[SOLVED] Can My PSU Support a 3080

Clueless02

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Hello,

I'm sure there are a million of these questions by now, but I've done hours of research and can't find a clear answer. I put my system info into various calculators and I barely skirt the 100-watt buffer I'd like. Especially since I'll likely be operating at ~87% - 89% efficiency.

My computer has a built-in PSU which is a 650W 80 Plus Gold (non certified from what I can tell). The model number is: IW-GD650PS. It's the PSU that comes with the InWin A1 Plus.

My parts of note are:

Mini ITX Mobo (Auros X570)
Ryzen 3700x (no overclocking)
RTX 3080 (no overclocking)
2x 8GB DDR4 ram
1 SSD
1 PCIe m.2 SSD
4 120mm fans
A Wifi Antenna, Mouse + Keyboard, some LED RGB lights.
Hopefully, I will be pushing the GPU hard to 4k 60fps gaming in the latest titles when work permits.

Thank you everyone!

Nick

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

I'm sure there are a million of these questions by now, but I've done hours of research and can't find a clear answer. I put my system info into various calculators and I barely skirt the 100-watt buffer I'd like. Especially since I'll likely be operating at ~87% - 89% efficiency.

My computer has a built-in PSU which is a 650W 80 Plus Gold (non certified from what I can tell). The model number is: IW-GD650PS. It's the PSU that comes with the InWin A1 Plus.

My parts of note are:

2x 8GB DDR4 ram
4 120mm fans
Hopefully, I will be pushing the GPU hard to 4k 60fps gaming in the...
Hello,

My parts of note are:

2x 8GB DDR4 ram
4 120mm fans
Hopefully, I will be pushing the GPU hard to 4k 60fps gaming in the latest titles when work permits.

Thank you everyone!

Nick
The IW-GD650PS has two (6+2) 8-pin PCIe power cables, according to In-Win website, so as long as you choose a 3080 that uses just 2 cables (there are several models that use 3) it should work. According to the label for that model PSU it can output its full rated capacity of 650 watts on the +12 volt rail. The reference tier list here at Tom's lists it as a Tier 'C', so I'd expect the overall quality to be somewhat mediocre. It should work even though not the best choice for a high end GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickachu
Solution

Pickachu

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks Archaic. How did you look up the PSU on Tom's lists?
Just enter the PSU tier list

On the search section I wrote InWin A1 Plus and you will see it in the tier C.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS