[SOLVED] Can my PSU (Thermaltake TR2 S 600W 80+) power an Asus Strix RX 580 8GB?

Mar 12, 2019
I built a system around December 2018 and was having a tight budget so I bought a Ryzen 5 2400G with an onboard APU that I can use while waiting for the GPU prices to go down and also being in a tight budget I bought a Thermaltake TR2 S 600W 80+ PSU and didn’t realise that it was rated Tier 7 / Tier G. Now that the GPU prices went down I am planning to get an ASUS Strix RX 580 8gb to pair with my FreeSync monitor but I am really conscious about the quality of this PSU , would it run fine with my RX580?

~I should have spent more and invested on a quality PSU :((

Solution
What tier "list" are you referencing? Wow, anything with 7+ tiers is really overdoing it.

The TR2 are not good quality. It could probably do it, but I wouldn't be comfortable in it's longevity. Unfortunately, yes. Spending a little more on a quality PSU could last you 7-10 years comfortably. Cheaping out not only potentially risks your hardware, it usually requires upgrading many times in the same timescale - usually making it more expensive in the long run.

Where are you located? A quality 450-500W unit would be more than capable for a 2400G + 580.

If you happen to be in the US (and ok with mail-in rebates), the CX550 from Corsair is ~$38

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What tier "list" are you referencing? Wow, anything with 7+ tiers is really overdoing it.

The TR2 are not good quality. It could probably do it, but I wouldn't be comfortable in it's longevity. Unfortunately, yes. Spending a little more on a quality PSU could last you 7-10 years comfortably. Cheaping out not only potentially risks your hardware, it usually requires upgrading many times in the same timescale - usually making it more expensive in the long run.

Where are you located? A quality 450-500W unit would be more than capable for a 2400G + 580.

If you happen to be in the US (and ok with mail-in rebates), the CX550 from Corsair is ~$38

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $38.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-12 07:08 EDT-0400

Reactions: adrian720344
Solution
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks for the reply, this was the tier list I was referring to https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/

As seen on the list the TR2 comes last but in this case i am not sure if the (TR2) is different from (TR2 S) , I did alot of research when i was looking at this PSU (Thermaltake TR2 S 600W 80+) but i guess my ‘research’ wasn’t enough, only realizing 3 months later that there are a lot of bad reviews on it and also being rated as a Tier 7 / G :(

I had a seriously tight budget when i was building my first PC as the prices of components here in the Philippines are seriously expensive, I had no idea that you should never cheap out on your Power Supply as it is the heart of your PC.

This is the PSU:
https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002713

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Honestly, while a tier list can be useful at a quick glance, by the time you have to trawl through 7+ separate tiers, it's too convoluted.
Look at reviews for specific units (here or JonnyGuru etc).

The TR2's look ok in specs, but have never been known as reliable. The TR2 S was just a slight revision from the older TR2... IIRC.

For a PSU in the Phillipines, your options are limited and, as you stated, prices are high.
Not sure what you would consider within your budget, but this SeaSonic S12II 520W is a quality unit for ~2,860 Piso / approx $54 USD.
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...74_51201795_2010251772:clk5hhoki1d5p2klo7gnc1

It's an older, dated platform, but a quality unit none-the-less. There might be better options available to you, but I cannot find any.

Your PSU, whether it be top tier or not, should power the RX 580 without issue. PSU horror stories are usually just that, horror stories. Most people won't have problems with them, but the very few people that do end up having some really outstanding stories to tell. I mean, it is an RX 580, not a GTX 580. You'll be fine.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your PSU, whether it be top tier or not, should power the RX 580 without issue. PSU horror stories are usually just that, horror stories. Most people won't have problems with them, but the very few people that do end up having some really outstanding stories to tell. I mean, it is an RX 580, not a GTX 580. You'll be fine.

The echo what I stated initially
The TR2 are not good quality. It could probably do it, but I wouldn't be comfortable in it's longevity.

The TR2's are notorious for poor longevity. They're not fire hazards, by any stretch. They'll just 'give up' one day. Be it a couple of months or a couple of years, is anybodies guess and will depend on the specific circumstances & luck.
There shouldn't be any risk in running it until it stops being functional.