[SOLVED] Can my RAM crash games?

Jan 1, 2019
Hello

Ever since i upgraded my ram to Corsair 2x8 GB CMR16GX4M2C3200C16 I have had problems with games like pubg and COD blackops 4 crashing after 1-15 min. I also have BSOD from time to time.

I have a ryzen 2600x, asus x470 tuf motherboard and vega 56.

Can someone tell me if the new ram is causing problems?

Solution
If Memtest found even 1 error, you should be returning/exchanging/refunding the memory you bought. DDR4 is notorious for being lower quality and less reliability than DDR3. There are cases where bits can flip because of adjacent memory/cells being set/cleared. I've got memory that started errorring after running memtest86 after 40 hours, and the system would do random reboots and such.

Consider yourself lucky that the memory locations that is having problems is being easily exposed by the games you like to play. Nowdays, I wouldn't put a DDR4 system into deployment and regular use without at least a 72 hour burn-in period running nothing but memtest86. I had to return 2 laptops because their DDR4 started erroring after 18 hours. The...
Jan 1, 2019

Jan 1, 2019
In COD i often crash less than a min after i jump the plane, and in pubg i just crashed 5-6 times in a game every time i reconnected i crashed again after a few min

CMOS clear can be done by removing the battery from your motherboard. It's a flat pill type somewhere usually lower in your motherboard. It just resets your bios to the original one that came with your motherboard as well as all the settings, so if there are setting compatibility issues, it'll fix it

But yeah, do the memtest. You could also make sure that your graphics card wire (external power connector) is plugged well. If you changed Ram, you could've moved and loosened some other wiring

Jan 1, 2019
Memtest found 1347 errors after 5 min.
What to do now?
Im not sure that the ram is at the list with supported ram at Asus website, Can that be the cause? Or is the ram broken?

You should now run memtest on each Ram stick, one at a time to determine which one is bad.

Good news is that you found your issue

In the end You can either... Buy a whole new kit (2 sticks). Or try and get a match to the Ram stick that is good

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
If Memtest found even 1 error, you should be returning/exchanging/refunding the memory you bought. DDR4 is notorious for being lower quality and less reliability than DDR3. There are cases where bits can flip because of adjacent memory/cells being set/cleared. I've got memory that started errorring after running memtest86 after 40 hours, and the system would do random reboots and such.

Consider yourself lucky that the memory locations that is having problems is being easily exposed by the games you like to play. Nowdays, I wouldn't put a DDR4 system into deployment and regular use without at least a 72 hour burn-in period running nothing but memtest86. I had to return 2 laptops because their DDR4 started erroring after 18 hours. The memory is even soldered in on the laptop mobo.

Solution
Jan 1, 2019
Ok, i just reset the bios to default, which set the ram at 2133 mhz, which is standard at ryzen i think, so far i have 0 errors after 6 min of memtest. How come it changed, when the ram should be at 3200mhz?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
6 minutes and 5 minutes of testing is highly inadequate. Slowing down the RAM to 2133Mbz from 3200mhz is only hiding the problem and you are now self-deluding about the spec and stability of your memory. If you bought 3200 memory and can't use it that way, is like you bought a large fries, but limiting yourself to only eating 2/3 of it... might as well have gotten a medium and saved the money.

Any sort of memory testing needs at least 8 hours to even get baseline and preferably 24 hours at the minimum. If I must use my machine, I would run 8 hours of testing per day for the next 7 days, when I an sleeping or at work or something.

There are many ways you can fool yourself into thinking it is all ok, but you are running risk that BSOD is going to get you later when it is least convenient and you are out of warranty and unable to get a refund. Additionally you are running the risk of corrupting your data and getting corrupted stuff written to disk and slowly messing up all your files. But if you insist, enjoy the fun of debugging a randomly unstable system later.

Jan 1, 2019
Ok, thanks a lot, Shold i test the ram in another system to make sure that it is not only in my system they dont work? Or is memtest 100% accurate no matter which system you use?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
If the memory is bad, it will be bad in other system as well. But there are cases where the memory is borderline and the system is borderline, a couple of 0.01volts here and couple of mghz there and things may work better for some system as to hide the problems a little better, which means even longer test cycles to catch the marginal stuff.

And you should keep in mind that just because there is no errors found by memtest86, does not mean that the stuff is perfect. After all the absence of evidence is the not the same as the evidence of absence. Just because the flaws in the memory chips are hard to find doesn't mean they do not exist. Which is to say if errors can be found easily, then the memory is most likely really bad. Any errors that can be found in 5 minutes of less means that memory is not worth keeping. Flawed memory like that is what you give to your frenemies, your cheapskate freeloading in-laws, thieving co-workers, etc. and let them be cursed by it.

TRENDING THREADS