Can my router handle 100mbps connection?

Feb 18, 2014
I just upgraded my fibernet plan to 100mbps. Previously it was working at 60mbps with D Link DIR 615 router. Can it handle 100mbps connection or should I buy a new one? If I should buy a new one please suggest some models to look at.

It will be connected to 3 to 4 mobiles, 2 computers and 1 tv everyday. 1 of those computer will be through direct Ethernet connection and others will be wireless.

Solution
To get the full 100Mbit throughtput you are paying for, you have to have a router with gigabit ports. A router with 100Mbit ports will handle about 90Mbit maximum. There is overhead with each network packet and that takes away from your throughput. The may be 100Mbit of bits flowing but you get less than that in data.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

kanewolf

Titan
To get the full 100Mbit throughtput you are paying for, you have to have a router with gigabit ports. A router with 100Mbit ports will handle about 90Mbit maximum. There is overhead with each network packet and that takes away from your throughput. The may be 100Mbit of bits flowing but you get less than that in data.

Solution
Kanewolf is correct.

First of all your wireless speed is irrelevant to what your router can handle from your ISP.

Your D-Link is an old base model with 100mbps LAN and WAN ports. If this was a decent commercial grade router that was just from last decade then I would say you have a decent chance of it actually handing 100mbps throughput between LAN and WAN interfaces.
Being what it is I would say Kanewolf's 90mbps is optimistic, my guess would be more like 80 mbps for any sort of sustained download.

Feb 18, 2014

Sorry for the very long delay. But can you recommend some routers with Gigabit ports?

Feb 18, 2014
Its been few months after I went ahead an updated to TP Link WR1043ND with Gigabit Ports. In the mean time, my plan is updated again with 150mbps and this router works fine. Its soon going to be updated to 200mbps and I think it can work with that too.