Can my Sister use her AMD system for XP?

Hello,

My sister has a Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD
~1470 Mhz system with 256 meg of RAM. Would Windows XP run ok on her
system. If she bumped it up to 512 meg of RAM would that do the trick?

Thanks in advance!

That should be acceptable to run XP for moderate use. Increasing the RAM to at least 384 MB will get it running smoother.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Temujin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My sister has a Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD
> ~1470 Mhz system with 256 meg of RAM. Would Windows XP run ok on her
> system. If she bumped it up to 512 meg of RAM would that do the trick?
>
> Thanks in advance!

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:29:13 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
<maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>That should be acceptable to run XP for moderate use. Increasing the RAM to at least 384 MB will get it running smoother.

Thank you. I was going to advise her to get 512 MB if she could. Not
sure what her RAM configuration is though.

Thanks!

frodo

Temujin@karakorum.org wrote:
> My sister has a Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD
> ~1470 Mhz system with 256 meg of RAM. Would Windows XP run ok on her
> system. If she bumped it up to 512 meg of RAM would that do the trick?

It will run ok w/ 256. Give it a try. If it's unacceptable then adding
another 256 will help, tho how much depends on lots of things; don't
expect miracles. If the mem is cheap or already on-hand (free!) then it's
worthwhile, otherwise save the $$ and put it towards next system.

Ask friends if they have mem lying around - older mem sticks are expensive
these days, and lots of folks have these things just gathering dust in the
corner of their basements.

frodo@theshire.org wrote on Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:20:58 -0000:

f> Temujin@karakorum.org wrote:
??>> My sister has a Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2
??>> AuthenticAMD ~1470 Mhz system with 256 meg of RAM. Would
??>> Windows XP run ok on her system. If she bumped it up to
??>> 512 meg of RAM would that do the trick?

f> It will run ok w/ 256. Give it a try. If it's unacceptable
f> then adding another 256 will help, tho how much depends on
f> lots of things; don't expect miracles. If the mem is cheap
f> or already on-hand (free!) then it's worthwhile, otherwise
f> save the $$ and put it towards next system.

It's surprisingly difficult to buy 256MHz memory these days. I
did find a card a few months ago to upgrade my then 2-yearold
machine. I think the mother board would also take 333MHz but I
did not want to replace the lot.

James Silverton.