Can my system support three monitors? (for work, non-gaming)

Oct 24, 2018
Just curious if the tower I use at work can support three monitors; not to sure how to compare and read system properties to figure this out.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2712 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Adapter Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

I currently have two monitors but curious if I can add a third, thanks in advance.

king3pj

Distinguished
You do need to make sure your computer’s motherboard has enough video outputs for that though.

We have various Dell computers around our office and all of them are running 2 monitors off Intel integrated graphics. Each of these PCs has one VGA port. Some of them also have an HDMI port and others have a DisplayPort. Each computer has 2 ports so we are able to run dual monitors but none of them have 3 so we wouldn’t be able to run a 3rd monitor even if the Intel integrated graphics technically support that.

Take a look at the back of your computer and see how many ports you have. Even if they don’t match up directly with the inputs your monitor has you can get adapters or cables that do the conversion for you as long as you have enough ports.

Oct 24, 2018

I took a look at the back and only saw that the monitors are connected to the HDMI ports, which there are two of. So would I be able to get an adaptar that I can plug into the tower and than plug in the two monitors too?

king3pj

Distinguished
Are there any VGA, DVI, or DisplayPorts? If you have one of any of those you will be able to make a 3rd monitor work. If it’s just the 2 HDMI ports and nothing else I’m not aware of a way to do it.

You would be better off buying a cheapo card (which is way faster than the iGPU) which has the outputs you want.

The problem you come with adaptors, is that they don't always work and monitors can struggle. Ideally avoid adaptors and find a card with the outputs you need for the monitors you have.

king3pj

Distinguished

That depends on the ports involved I guess. The monitors we have at work have 1 HDMI input and 1 VGA input. Several of us have been using the VGA port on our motherboard for one monitor and a DisplayPort to HDMI cable for the 2nd monitors off Intel integrated graphics for years without issue.

Intel graphics have no problem with multiple monitors and it seems silly to buy a dedicated GPU for simple office work as long as the motherboard has enough video outputs. For us, we only needed dual monitors at work so our standard Dell office machines with Intel graphics and 2 video outputs are fine. If their office machine only has 2 ports than I agree with you that, they would need to look into a cheap GPU. Otherwise it makes much more sense to just buy something like our DisplayPort to HDMI cables for less than $10.