Can no longer access my c: drive....

Jason_156

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
So i was having issues saving and editing files in my c drive. I didnt have permission(even tho i am admin and only user). I couldnt add new files ro the drive or delete or move them. I tried adding permission, taking ownership and everything else i could think of or find while searching countless forums. Well, i had the great idea that maybe i could reset the permissions by disabling them then reseting them. Now i cant access my c drive. I cant sysyem restore, cant open cmd, and i cant edit the owner of the drive.
Please tell me i didnt lock my self out permanently.

Solution
Welcome to the community, @Jason!

I'd recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and check how your C: drive appears there. I'd also recommend you try resolving the issue by running the Windows Repair Options from the Windows Installation USB/DVD. Try running Command prompt from there to get your ownership back and resolve the permission issues with the C drive. Either way, running the Repair setup of Windows should fix things back to defaults, so you don't have to tamper with the permissions further. Make sure you back up all personal data from your computer, restoring Windows will erase it all.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, @Jason!

I'd recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and check how your C: drive appears there. I'd also recommend you try resolving the issue by running the Windows Repair Options from the Windows Installation USB/DVD. Try running Command prompt from there to get your ownership back and resolve the permission issues with the C drive. Either way, running the Repair setup of Windows should fix things back to defaults, so you don't have to tamper with the permissions further. Make sure you back up all personal data from your computer, restoring Windows will erase it all.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution