Question Can no longer run ANY games due to SSD failure.

Jun 19, 2019
So a little while ago my pc just stopped running games, it would crash when I tried to play any game that was even slightly taxing on my pc. And my pc is quite good. 16gb RAM, GTX 1070, I7 6700K.
I'm no expert and din't know what the Issue was so I just stopped playing, I din't play much anyway. A little while later my SSD failed so I assumed that was the problem. Now I run everything on an HDD and it's VERY slow, games are the same, still crash almost immediately and it's not like an error message crash, It freezes my whole PC.
Anyway I want to play games again and I think that if I just buy a new SSD it will fix my issue? Any help or suggestions would be awesome guys.
PS. I also do have a 4k screen and back then had a 2k screen, could be that it's too much for a HDD to handle as I can just about play some older games on lower settings without crashing. Games like Total War Rome II

I don't think an SSD is going to fix your crashes.
I think if it crashes on an HDD it's going to crash on an SSD.

I think it's more likely that you trying to run at 4K might be causing the problem. 4K is way too much for a gtx 1070 to play decent games with in any practical sense in my opinion.

I would try running at 1920x1080 and see what happens.

Jun 19, 2019
I don't think an SSD is going to fix your crashes.
I think if it crashes on an HDD it's going to crash on an SSD.

I think it's more likely that you trying to run at 4K might be causing the problem. 4K is way too much for a gtx 1070 to play decent games with in any practical sense in my opinion.

I would try running at 1920x1080 and see what happens.

The res is not the Issue, like I said I had this issue when I had a 2k screen and I played on that screen for many years untill this issue popped up. And My PC would normally get 100+fps on the games that I played. The intensity of the game Is a factor though as I can play older games, I'll try BF4 in 1080p see what happens, it normaly wont get passed the loadout screen. EDIT: THE GAME CRASHED BEFORE I COULD EVEN GET INTO THE SETTINGS SCREEN :(

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019
Doesn't seem like the storage is the issue.

List your specs, include the PSU.

Also what temps are you getting while gaming?
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
i7 6700k @ 4.00GHz 4.01GHz
MSI GTX 1070
16GB GDDR HyperX Ram
2TB 7200rpm HDD
Corsair cx750m PSU

I googled how to find my Motherboard on device manager, It says it's under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Mine says "Standard SATA AHCI Controller"
I know it's an MSI Board, not sure if it's supposed to say that here.

WildCard999

Titan
i7 6700k @ 4.00GHz 4.01GHz
MSI GTX 1070
16GB GDDR HyperX Ram
2TB 7200rpm HDD
Corsair cx750m PSU

I googled how to find my Motherboard on device manager, It says it's under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Mine says "Standard SATA AHCI Controller"
I know it's an MSI Board, not sure if it's supposed to say that here.
Check your temps with HWmonitor (posted link above). It will record the max temps (all the way to the right). The CPU & GPU need to be below 80C. If there not then they will thermal throttle which is lowering performance to avoid damage.

Jun 19, 2019
Check your temps with HWmonitor (posted link above). It will record the max temps (all the way to the right). The CPU & GPU need to be below 80C. If there not then they will thermal throttle which is lowering performance to avoid damage.

GPU Max:: 51
CPU MAX:: 52
Looks like some real high numbers on my Motherboard though
TMPIN5 & TMPIN8 are at 127

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
You didn't provide any information on your motherboard make/model - please provide. It appears your motherboard chipset is overheating with the temps you provided. It is possible that one of the pins on the chipset heatsink may have popped loose and thus not allowing for the heatsink to make contact with the chipset - thus causing excessive heat to build up on the chipset.