[SOLVED] Can no longer start WSL-Ubuntu from Windows command line after changing motherboard & CPU ?

cormanaz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi. I had WSL2 set up and working fine with x410, an X server for windows that will connect to the WSL machine and give you an ubuntu desktop. Everything was working great, then I replaced my processor/mobo and it no longer works. The commands recommended to start everything by the x410 makers (which again worked perfectly before) are
Code:
start /B x410.exe /desktop
ubuntu.exe run "if [ -z \"$(pidof xfce4-session)\" ]; then export DISPLAY=$(cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | awk '{print $2; exit;}'):0.0; xfce4-session; pkill '(gpg|ssh)-agent'; fi;"
The arguments to the ubuntu command fetch the IP address the X server should connect to.

The problem seems to be that the ubuntu.exe command no longer works: “'ubuntu.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.” Same for ubuntu2004.exe. Typing WSL will start it, but it doesn't accept the arguments to ubuntu.exe as above. Why changing hardware would cause this problem is a bit of a mystery.

Anybody know what command I can use to start ubuntu from the windows command line? I've spent quite some time searching around and I can't find an answer. Can't even find out where it's installed to hunt for the exe.

Last edited:
Solution
I got this resolved. I finally found the Ubuntu executable which in my case is in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_2004.2021.222.0_x64__79rhkp1fndgsc\

Apparently this got eliminated from the path. How changing hardware could do that IDK, but there you have it. Maybe it happened during the Windows restore or something.

cormanaz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I got this resolved. I finally found the Ubuntu executable which in my case is in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_2004.2021.222.0_x64__79rhkp1fndgsc\

Apparently this got eliminated from the path. How changing hardware could do that IDK, but there you have it. Maybe it happened during the Windows restore or something.

Solution