Question Can Noctua NH D15S provide sufficient cooling for i9 9900k?

Nov 30, 2019
I've planned to buy corsair dominator platinum RAMs which are 55mm whereas the NH D15 has only 32mm of ram clearence. However, the D15s has 65mm of RAM clearence, but would it be sufficient for the i9 9900k overclocking? Or is there a way to use the dominator platinum with the D15? I've read somewhere that people adjusted the fan height on D15 and used taller RAMs with it....is that really possible?

P.S. The upcoming A500 cooler from corsair is sweet but not an option for me atm because it won't be available in my country until July.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The D15S performs within a couple of degrees of the D15, it's a really great revision/rework.
And, for the most part, a D15 will rival even higher end 240-280mm AIOs.
So, you could reasonably deduce that the D15S should be plenty capable.

The D15 certainly can have the front fan raised. Shouldn't impact temperatures much at all unless you have to raise it substantially. Obviously, it does require more CPU Cooler clearance in your case though.
To raise to accommodate DomPlats is probably a bit much, IMO.

The D15S should be perfectly fine. If you needed to, I'm sure you could add a 120mm to the front of it.... but I doubt it'll be necessary.

Reactions: RogueNineOne
Nov 30, 2019
The D15S performs within a couple of degrees of the D15, it's a really great revision/rework.
And, for the most part, a D15 will rival even higher end 240-280mm AIOs.
So, you could reasonably deduce that the D15S should be plenty capable.

The D15 certainly can have the front fan raised. Shouldn't impact temperatures much at all unless you have to raise it substantially. Obviously, it does require more CPU Cooler clearance in your case though.
To raise to accommodate DomPlats is probably a bit much, IMO.

The D15S should be perfectly fine. If you needed to, I'm sure you could add a 120mm to the front of it.... but I doubt it'll be necessary.
Thank you very much for your answer! I really appreciate the time you took to go through the details.

Latest posts