Can not access bios

Derrainga

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
Can not access BIOS. After it says it is "Entering Setup..." if goes to a black sceen and nothing will appear, even after 10 minutes. F11 works in the idea I can pick what device I want to boot from, but I can not access the BIOS itself. I can start my OS fine with no problems. It is only BIOS I can not get into. I have already tried resetting the CMOS battery, but to no avail.

Motherboard: MSI z77a-41
CPU: Intel i5-2500k

it a known error with a gpu and onboard video. if you have a gpu and onboard video is turned on whern you go into the bios the video jumps from your gpu to the onboard video port. power your pc up and go into the bios when the screen blackens out again move the video port to onboard video. when the video comes on again. go into the bios look for primany display change it from auto to peg/pci and turn off muilt monitor unless your using the onboard video ports.

Derrainga

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014

I removed all video connections to my graphics card, and have only one connection (VGA) from my motherboard to my monitor. I still had a black screen. After that I tried removing my graphics card and try getting into my BIOS then, but I still receive a black screen.

Derrainga

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014

No adapter is being used, and tried both of my monitors via VGA, along with my TV via VGA

what I would do now is see if the bios is damaged or needs to be updated and make a bootable usb dos stick and update the bios from dos screen. dont try and update it from msi updater in windows. if there a f key short cut to the bios updater try using that and put the newest bios file on the mb.

Derrainga

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014

Would you be able to source a guide for doing that specifically for MSI boards? I can't seem to find any relatively good ones...

Derrainga

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
Conveniently, MSI has their own driver updater, which also updates the bios, and after I upgraded the BIOS version, and reinstalled all my drivers, and after restarting about 5 times, It finally let me into bios :D