Question Can Not Boot and USB Drive wont Boot Either

risenSHADOW

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
My desktop was running very slow today, I initially thought it was because my boot drive was running out of space, I cleared up some space on the drive. It was still running slow so I decided to restart the desktop. Ever since I did this I have been stuck trying to load the operating system, I can not get to Windows 10 automatic repair. When it goes to the automatic repair all I get is a black screen I can move my cursor around in. I tried using windows media creation tool as well, I ended up with the same issue, it doesn't let me get to the part where I can repair my OS. It just shows a purple background with a cursor I can move around, but I can not select anything.

The only two menus I can access is my BIOS which is running off MSI BIOS 5 and I can access the boot menu to choose which drive to boot from. I can not get the OS to work, I'm completely locked out of my computer, and automatic repair is not working. Any ideas for what I can do, I'm completely lost here. Any help is appreciated, I need help ASAP because I do college online and am in a course where I have to use my computer to program.

risenSHADOW

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
Ok, so I am not out of the woods yet, but I have made progress and made it into the windows repair after taking advice from this thread:

I had to unplug my HDD and only have my SDD plugged in, and that allows me to get into the windows repair menu. I will update the thread if I fix the issue later.

risenSHADOW

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
So, as far as I can tell, my computer works perfectly fine when my HDD is not plugged in, does anyone know if this means my HDD is completely fried? Can I still get my data off of it? Why would my PC not boot if it is plugged in?

If you have kept up with the thread this far, thanks for your time.

So, as far as I can tell, my computer works perfectly fine when my HDD is not plugged in, does anyone know if this means my HDD is completely fried? Can I still get my data off of it? Why would my PC not boot if it is plugged in?

If you have kept up with the thread this far, thanks for your time.
Try a different hdd power cable/plug.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Try a different sata cable.

Make sure it's the hdd itself.
If it is move the hdd to an usb dock/enclosure/cable see how that reacts.

risenSHADOW

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
Try a different hdd power cable/plug.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Try a different sata cable.

Make sure it's the hdd itself.
If it is move the hdd to an usb dock/enclosure/cable see how that reacts.
I am now getting KERNEL_POWER critical errors without the HDD plugged in. After these errors my pc will just randomly restart, so now I've really been thrown for a loop. It seems I need to fix this issue before I can worry about whether or not my HDD is ok.

TRENDING THREADS