[SOLVED] Can not figure out why my Bios wont read the update file for AGESA 1.2.0.2

Apr 17, 2021
Im trying to update my bios to fix the USB connection issue, but i cannot get the bios to read the file

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: MSI B550-A Pro

Everytime i go into the flash screen i get this

20210417_164137.jpg

1. Its the correct Motherboard, MSI B550-A Pro
  2. Im using the correct port designated on the motherboard via the manual
  3. Files are installed to the root of the drive
  4. 32 GB USB formatted to FAT32, nothing else on the drive
  5. Two different USB flash drives, both are new and clean
I looked into installing the previous bios from Jan 26th and i got the same error, it wont locate the file

What am i missing here? ive been about 5 hours trying to figure this out on my own and i dont get it

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah i would have expected it from someone like Dell/Alienware, HP, Lenovo etc but Corsair doesnt even make the motherboard so i never thought that could be it. I wonder if other companies like NZXT do the same
In the case of HP, at least, I do know they often buy motherboards from the major mfr's. Asus is a major supplier and many of their boards are based on Asus retail models. I had a used HP business system built around a P4 motherboard with a typical custom HP BIOS; all I had to do was force-update to a BIOS asus provided for the board and I could get all the features of the Asus model. It didn't work well though with CPU overclocking very limited, probably because it had much lower-spec VRM parts than the retail variant...
Apr 17, 2021
Try a smaller USB flash drive...something under 1Gb and USB2.

Also make sure you've extracted the BIOS file from the distribution and it's named properly. Check your motherboard manual for more information on that.

Yeah ive tried just a regular extract and also just the 2 files needed

Ive followed MSI's own video

Im just lost and about to give up

Im just lost and about to give up
Some other things to look for: make sure you're picking up the file for the correct motherboard from mfr's web site! I've picked up the file for a B450m Mortar MAX (I have the original B450m Mortar) and frustrated myself the same way before. A lot of boards are available in updated versions and identified in different ways...ASUS has a TUF B450m Plus and a TUF B450M Pro and I think there's even a TUF B450m Pro (V2).

Make sure the USB stick drive is formatted correctly, usually FAT32 works while NTFS is iffy at best.

And lastly; it's easy to copy the entire archive folder to the USB and not extract the binary file itself. The folder icon of a zipped file looks very similar to any other folder so make sure the binary is extracted from it.

Apr 17, 2021
Its the right bios, MSI only has one B550-A Pro on their website

Tvxz9qx.jpg

flpubll.jpg

Ive done everything correctly(as far as i know) but it still just shows system directory information

I'd have to imagine the BIOS flash utility would see all the files on the USB drive...I'm pretty sure it does on my Mortar. Have you tried a smaller/older USB flash drive? I have an older USB-2, 512MB drive I always use just for the purpose.

The last thing to try would be the BIOS Flash-back... but I'd get hold of MSI tech support first to see if they have a solution or think it's a defective.

EDIT: oh yes...and i don't often suggest this but you might also update BIOS using Dragon Center software. Get it from the MSI support page and install. I'm not sure how it works or if it will pick up a BIOS flagged as a BETA version either. It will install from within Windows...there are instructions for using it in the manual. Afterwards, I'd uninstall Dragon Center as it's probably going to be a drag on system resources.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021
I'd have to imagine the BIOS flash utility would see all the files on the USB drive...I'm pretty sure it does on my Mortar. Have you tried a smaller/older USB flash drive? I have an older USB-2, 512MB drive I always use just for the purpose.

The last thing to try would be the BIOS Flash-back... but I'd get hold of MSI tech support first to see if they have a solution or think it's a defective.

EDIT: oh yes...and i don't often suggest this but you might also update BIOS using Dragon Center software. Get it from the MSI support page and install. I'm not sure how it works or if it will pick up a BIOS flagged as a BETA version either. It will install from within Windows...there are instructions for using it in the manual. Afterwards, I'd uninstall Dragon Center as it's probably going to be a drag on system resources.

Ill have to try the smaller flash drive and then just give up after that point

I tried Dragon center, when i go into the advance section to scan for bios updates nothing comes up

I tried Dragon center, when i go into the advance section to scan for bios updates nothing comes up
hmm...that's really peculiar. I can see it ignoring BETA versions but should think it would pick up on earlier versions in case an owner needed to regress to an earlier BIOS. Try the smaller/older USB drive and then get in contact with MSI tech support if unsuccessful.

One other thing, more of a leap of faith, would be to run a CMOS reset before starting the update process. Just in case some strange BIOS setting is causing this.

Apr 17, 2021
hmm...that's really peculiar. I can see it ignoring BETA versions but should think it would pick up on earlier versions in case an owner needed to regress to an earlier BIOS. Try the smaller/older USB drive and then get in contact with MSI tech support if unsuccessful.

One other thing, more of a leap of faith, would be to run a CMOS reset before starting the update process. Just in case some strange BIOS setting is causing this.

I just ordered a 2 pack of Sandisk USB drives off Amazon, 8GB each. I dont own any older USB drives, the only ones i own are the 2 i bought to try in the first place

Gonna give it a shot with the 8 GB sticks and if that dont work im probably done trying. I might contact MSI but ill likely just stop trying if the 8GB dont work

Thanks for the suggestions, drea, ill have to wait until tuesday when the usb flash drives get here and give it one last try

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What does the txt file say? Almost always you have to disable Antivirus software temporarily when doing a bios update. Antivirus scans anything and everything for what it considers malicious software algorithms, and thats exactly what a bios update is, a rewrite of critical files.

Wouldn't surprise me if you found half a dozen quarantined files.

Also, after unpacking, many bios files need to be renamed in order to be recognised as a bios file, that's done to bypass ISP, firewall, Antivirus etc on the download.

Apr 17, 2021
What does the txt file say? Almost always you have to disable Antivirus software temporarily when doing a bios update. Antivirus scans anything and everything for what it considers malicious software algorithms, and thats exactly what a bios update is, a rewrite of critical files.

Wouldn't surprise me if you found half a dozen quarantined files.

Also, after unpacking, many bios files need to be renamed in order to be recognised as a bios file, that's done to bypass ISP, firewall, Antivirus etc on the download.
Are you sure, that is correct model name of your motherboard?
Try latest non-beta BIOS update instead.
very sure its the right mother board model

Im opening a ticket with MSI because their forum wont let me sign in

I tried the previous update also, same issue, shows system volume information

0FQTjZ4.jpg

Apr 17, 2021
I think i finally figured out why i cant update it

Its a pre-built tower from Corsair, its their corsair vengeance series

From doing some searching, the only updates i can do are the ones they put out. They have some sort of customized bios apparently

Didnt think Corsair would do something like that, stupid.

Thats what u get for buying a pre-built, but when theirs no GPU's and u need a new PC its the only choice

Thanks for the help guys, im gonna go full Karen on Corsair now

Last edited:
I think i finally figured out why i cant update it

Its a pre-built tower from Corsair, its their corsair vengeance series

From doing some searching, the only updates i can do are the ones they put out.
Ahhh....now that makes sense. It's one way an OEM will control the user experience, by limiting BIOS settings to those they deem safe and updates to those they approve. They will also not likely offer one that's only at BETA release level either.

If you're the venturesome sort you can probably bypass the restriction by doing the update to an MSI-release BIOS using AMI's update software or this one. It's a bit daunting, but once you've updated to the MSI BIOS it will be forever free of any limits or restrictions imposed by Corsair in their custom BIOS.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021
Ahhh....now that makes sense. It's one way an OEM will control the user experience, by limiting BIOS settings to those they deem safe and updates to those they approve. They will also not likely offer one that's only at BETA release level either.

If you're the venturesome sort you can probably bypass the restriction by doing the update to an MSI-release BIOS using AMI's update software or this one. It's a bit daunting, but once you've updated to the MSI BIOS it will be forever free of any limits or restrictions imposed by Corsair in their custom BIOS.

Yeah i would have expected it from someone like Dell/Alienware, HP, Lenovo etc but Corsair doesnt even make the motherboard so i never thought that could be it. I wonder if other companies like NZXT do the same

In the case of HP, at least, I do know they often buy motherboards from the major mfr's. Asus is a major supplier and many of their boards are based on Asus retail models. I had a used HP business system built around a P4 motherboard with a typical custom HP BIOS; all I had to do was force-update to a BIOS asus provided for the board and I could get all the features of the Asus model. It didn't work well though with CPU overclocking very limited, probably because it had much lower-spec VRM parts than the retail variant it was based on to keep it cheap. I used the AFUWin software I linked to above to do that.

Solution
Dec 7, 2021
Hi. Am having the same problem with my motherboard. When am trying to update my bios the file is not opening from the flashdrive. You said Corsair is sort of blocking any type of update. So how did you manage to update your bios?
How I do know which update will be accepted for my motherboard
Thank you