[SOLVED] CAn not find printer!!!!!!! was working fine

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I have this
HL-L2320D
https://support.brother.com/g/b/producttop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2320d_us_as

windows 8.1 64 bit

every once and a while it isn't found and fails to print so I just unplug the USB and plug it back and DEvice Set Up (or something) automatically makes it work.

Now it's giving me all types of problems.

I got it to almost set up but said something about it's an older device not meant for USB 3.0 (I have it on a brand name USB HUB that is all 3.0 [ I thought 3.0 was backwards compatible lol imagine making printer software/updates and it can't even do this simple task in 2020]).

I plugged it direct to PC in a black (2.0?) (not blue) usb port but still doesn't do anything.

When I try to Add A Printer in Control panel, it only finds the printer in the other room which is like a shared printer on the router but I don't want to use that one, just my usb-connected printer (this printer is USB only and no wifi or anything).

So I go to manually set a printer up and select USB and get Unable to install printer make sure the name is correct and connected to network. (or I got that Not compatible with 3.0 USB).

So I try to just install the drivers from brother site linked above (BTW , I just want driver and no stupid dashboard , utility etc software option). and download this Y14A_C1-hostm-1110 thing, decompress it. then gives me a folder with no clear EXE or anything to click, just tons of garbage in folders etc. But there are two "applications" dpinstx64 and dpinstx86. I ran the dpinstx64 and gave it pop up warning permission to run and then nothing happens.

I tried the Brother Uninstall tool descriptions say run this to let window plug and play install the printer instead. From that download though I get another folder of random .dll garbage I don't know what to do with and no .EXE or Run this or any obvious thing to simply click to run the uninstall as if this as if setting up a Fkng printer is some complex process that needs all this don't get me started.

Solution
SOLVED!
I used brother's site unistall tool (to remove drivers which apparently stay even after REmove DEvice from Control panel) so I can 'plug and play let windows install driver itself' (unplug the usb and plug it back in).

What it was was, my eyes are trained to not read their stupid instructions under the download https://support.brother.com/g/b/dow...as&os=135&dlid=dlf005059_000&flang=4&type3=39

How to Install
  1. Make a temporary directory on your HDD to save the downloaded file, e.g. C:\bront
  2. Start downloading.
  3. Once downloading is completed, double click the downloaded file to extract it.
  4. A folder with the name "rempnp" will be automatically created...

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
when I go to print, it says a printer isn't installed, want to set one up? I hit yes then port set to USB, then it shows a bunch of Brother drivers, then I select the right one (or click the Windows Update option which selects the same one [HL-L2320D], then it says recommended is to use the existing drivers it found that I have or to overwrite them. Both options give a CAN NOT INSTALL PRINTER popup.

I DID remove device (printer) in control panel but the drivers are still there I guess messing this up (and again, trying Brother's webpage is like trying to use DOS to me) and I can't tell which is the drivers in the folder "The printer driver is usually located on the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder "

I have a backup printer but rather get this solved. thanks

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
SOLVED!
I used brother's site unistall tool (to remove drivers which apparently stay even after REmove DEvice from Control panel) so I can 'plug and play let windows install driver itself' (unplug the usb and plug it back in).

What it was was, my eyes are trained to not read their stupid instructions under the download https://support.brother.com/g/b/dow...as&os=135&dlid=dlf005059_000&flang=4&type3=39

How to Install
  1. Make a temporary directory on your HDD to save the downloaded file, e.g. C:\bront
  2. Start downloading.
  3. Once downloading is completed, double click the downloaded file to extract it.
  4. A folder with the name "rempnp" will be automatically created.
  5. Open the "rempnp" folder and double click "BrRemPnP.exe" ("BrRemPnP" may be displayed depending on your computer settings).
  6. Brother device driver uninstall tool dialog box appears.
  7. Select your model name from the pulldown list.
  8. Click on OK

The way it appears on that page is just something I didn't bother reading, seems like it would be overly basic like 'download, make sure no other programs are open etc', but it DOES say click BrRemPnP.exe and that's what made it work. There's another .exe in the folder the download gives you which must be the one I clicked yesterday that didn't do anything.

Why would they even name it BrRemPnP.exe?? Why not name it something like ClickThisToUnistallDrivers.exe? lol. And why is it so hard for the company owned by the richest man on earth to not give me an error when trying to overwrite the existing drivers when asked to when setting up the printer, Instead I get an error. And Troubleshoot device lmao and I googled 'has troubleshoot device EVER worked?" lol, no. And why aren't drivers fully removed when I remove the printer in CONTROL PANEL? it still shows a different printer I removed and sold last year in a drop down option when printing.

Solution