Can not geet sound from mother board

KenAlves

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hi, no sound from mother board plug in for speakers. Went out and bought a pci sound card. Still no sound. Unable to install drivers. Look in device manager and tried to reinstall drivers. Also Sound software is grayed out. HELP...........

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
You really have not given the community enough information to begin to start helping you and fyi the sound software is probably grayed out because it doesn't detect any sound hardware to utilize, providing your even using windows which we don't even know.

Let us know what hardware your system has to the best of your knowledge, if its a retail computer what model is it, is it an hp or a dell? How old is the system, what pci sound card did you buy, and are you sure your speakers are even working, have you tested them with a cd player or mp3 player or something with a similar connection?

Let us know so we can at least get an idea of the possible problems.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
My guess is that you never installed the drivers for the onboard sound chip when you did your build; and then, when you bought the plug in sound card you never disabled the sound chip on your motherboard. I guess that you are not able to install the drivers because there is a hardware conflict between the native sound chip on your mobo and the add-in card.
If this is the case you either take out the sound card and install the sound drivers from the CD/DVD that came with the mobo or disable the sound chip in the mobo BIOS and reinstall the drivers for the add-in card.
That's my guess.