[SOLVED] Can not install windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 31, 2019
Hi, I have just finished my new build and I am unable to boot from USB or DVD to install windows 10. I have disabled fast boot and secure boot and have tried a couple Windows 10 iso's on both USB and DVD, i have also tried changing the boot sequence in bios, all i get is a black screen with the flashing underscore, any ideas? I have lso tried swapping out the graphics cad with my old saphire tri-x r9 290 no luck

Specs:
Asus rampage VI extreme omega
Intel I9 -10900X
256GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance rgb pro
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2
RTX 2080TI
Corsair RMi1000W

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Check temps and voltages as reported by BIOS. An overheated CPU (or similar) will prevent boot. (as in bad thermal paste application/bond). Also undervolted CPU & memory. Check specs for both and make certain BIOS says they are getting what they require.

Dec 31, 2019
Check temps and voltages as reported by BIOS. An overheated CPU (or similar) will prevent boot. (as in bad thermal paste application/bond). Also undervolted CPU & memory. Check specs for both and make certain BIOS says they are getting what they require.
Hi I have checked voltages and double checked them all seem to be in order, temps are low (custom watercooled loop with 480mm rad for cpu and separate same loop for gpu) I've tried removing all ram sticks bar 1 tried different ram slots I've been at it all day still no luck. Just reset my bios and it wont let me update it now my head is frazzled

Dec 31, 2019
Well okay everyone is glad you got it working, etc... but some of us are serious fixers and we want to KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS.
messing around with the bios I ended up bricking it, switched to the second bios copied it to the first bios that was bricked updated it to the latest version, disabled the onboard wifi and it allowed me to install windows directly to the m2 in dimm2. Installed wifi drivers then re enabled wifi in the bios and that was it

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
messing around with the bios I ended up bricking it, switched to the second bios copied it to the first bios that was bricked updated it to the latest version, disabled the onboard wifi and it allowed me to install windows directly to the m2 in dimm2. Installed wifi drivers then re enabled wifi in the bios and that was it

Hmm, if only we had someone in here with higher level certifications or a computer science degree that could tell us why the wi-fi was the the issue of all things. This just shows how mickey mouse computers are in functionality. A million different things can cause just one issue.

Reactions: hbutty
Dec 31, 2019
Hmm, if only we had someone in here with higher level certifications or a computer science degree that could tell us why the wi-fi was the the issue of all things. This just shows how mickey mouse computers are in functionality. A million different things can cause just one issue.
I wish I'd figured it out earlier, I spent all day trying everything I was on the verge of removing my components and putting the board back in the box to send back to asus

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I wish I'd figured it out earlier, I spent all day trying everything I was on the verge of removing my components and putting the board back in the box to send back to asus

It certainly would have been me. Maybe we can contact asus so they can tell us how their wifi could possibly screw with the installation of an operating system. I never would have thought of it, totally off the wall.