Can not login to windows.

I am having a tricky problem with Windows 2000 server login process. After
pressing the power button, the computer loads Windows normaly. It stops at
the Ctrl, Alt, Del login screen and has the two following errors. "The
Application log is full" and "the System log is full" I'm not sure if
either of these errors is related to the real issue. At the login promt, I
type in the Administrator username/password, and the computer continues to
load saying, "Loading your personal settings" About the time the background
loads, Windows begins to logout, and displays the message "Saving your
settings", then returning to the Ctrl, Alt, Del login screen.

The last thing to happen to the computer before this issue was installing
these Automatic Windows updates:
KB823182
KB823559
KB824105
KB824151
KB825119
KB826232
KB828035
KB828741
KB828749
KB834707-IE501SP420040929.111451
KB835732
KB837001
KB839643
KB839645
KB840315
KB840987
KB841356
KB841533
KB841872
KB841873
KB842526
KB883935

Here are the steps I have taken to correct the issue. First I tried logging
in as a different user, and also from a terminal server. No luck, same thing
happens. Then I went through ALL of the safe mode options, including "Last
Known Good Configuation". Same thing happens everytime. After this I tried
using the Emergency Repair Process on the Windows CD. Still no luck. In
case the problem was in the Windows registry, I backed up the current
registry and replaced them with the 5 hive files found in the
C:\windows\repair folder. No luck, so I restored the current registry.
There are two ways to access files on the computer. One is to go through the
recovery console, and the other is over the network share.

This article may help.

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
;249321]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Fission" wrote:
|I am having a tricky problem with Windows 2000 server login process. After
| pressing the power button, the computer loads Windows normaly. It stops
at
| the Ctrl, Alt, Del login screen and has the two following errors. "The
| Application log is full" and "the System log is full" I'm not sure if
| either of these errors is related to the real issue. At the login promt,
| type in the Administrator username/password, and the computer continues to
| load saying, "Loading your personal settings" About the time the
background
| loads, Windows begins to logout, and displays the message "Saving your
| settings", then returning to the Ctrl, Alt, Del login screen.
|
| The last thing to happen to the computer before this issue was installing
| these Automatic Windows updates:
| KB823182
| KB823559
| KB824105
| KB824151
| KB825119
| KB826232
| KB828035
| KB828741
| KB828749
| KB834707-IE501SP420040929.111451
| KB835732
| KB837001
| KB839643
| KB839645
| KB840315
| KB840987
| KB841356
| KB841533
| KB841872
| KB841873
| KB842526
| KB883935
|
| Here are the steps I have taken to correct the issue. First I tried
logging
| in as a different user, and also from a terminal server. No luck, same
thing
| happens. Then I went through ALL of the safe mode options, including
"Last
| Known Good Configuation". Same thing happens everytime. After this I
tried
| using the Emergency Repair Process on the Windows CD. Still no luck. In
| case the problem was in the Windows registry, I backed up the current
| registry and replaced them with the 5 hive files found in the
| C:\windows\repair folder. No luck, so I restored the current registry.
| There are two ways to access files on the computer. One is to go through
the
| recovery console, and the other is over the network share.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! That is the article I was hunting!

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.