Can not send e mails through Outlook Express

Hi,

I would appreciate if anyone can help me to solve my following problem with
e mails and OE.

I have Outlook Express 6 and WindowsXP with SP2 installed.
I can not send any e mails from my outgoing smtp server.and get the messege:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pophm.sympatico.ca', Server:
'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '500 Unsupported
command.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 500, Error Number:
0x800CCC62

I can receive my emails in OE with the same email ID from the Incoming POP3
mail server.
I have Nortan Antivirus Prog set up for email scanning ON and also have
Router installed.So shall I have to change anything with my servers
configuration?
Thanx.
Anil

I would say that it is the smtp entry. Check with your ISP but i would have
thought that the smtp entry should read smtp.sympatico.ca The pop3 entry
should also read either pop.symatico.ca or pop3.sympatico.ca Do you happen
to know what the 'hm' would stand for after both the smtp and pop?

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Anil P" <anilpasnani@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can help me to solve my following problem
> with
> e mails and OE.
>
> I have Outlook Express 6 and WindowsXP with SP2 installed.
> I can not send any e mails from my outgoing smtp server.and get the
> messege:
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pophm.sympatico.ca', Server:
> 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '500 Unsupported
> command.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 500, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC62
>
> I can receive my emails in OE with the same email ID from the Incoming
> POP3
> mail server.
> I have Nortan Antivirus Prog set up for email scanning ON and also have
> Router installed.So shall I have to change anything with my servers
> configuration?
> Thanx.
> Anil

Thanx John,
I asked my ISP but they could not solve the problem.
Servers names are provided by my ISP and I don't know what's this prefix
"hm" stands for.
I tried after disabaling emails scanning from NAV.
I can receive/send e mails from other POP or Hotmail a/c from OE but I can
only receive the mails from this server.I can not send.
I don't know where's the real problem.
Anyway thanx for the reply.
Anil P
"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>I would say that it is the smtp entry. Check with your ISP but i would have
>thought that the smtp entry should read smtp.sympatico.ca The pop3 entry
>should also read either pop.symatico.ca or pop3.sympatico.ca Do you happen
>to know what the 'hm' would stand for after both the smtp and pop?
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>
> "Anil P" <anilpasnani@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would appreciate if anyone can help me to solve my following problem
>> with
>> e mails and OE.
>>
>> I have Outlook Express 6 and WindowsXP with SP2 installed.
>> I can not send any e mails from my outgoing smtp server.and get the
>> messege:
>>
>> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pophm.sympatico.ca', Server:
>> 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '500 Unsupported
>> command.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 500, Error Number:
>> 0x800CCC62
>>
>> I can receive my emails in OE with the same email ID from the Incoming
>> POP3
>> mail server.
>> I have Nortan Antivirus Prog set up for email scanning ON and also have
>> Router installed.So shall I have to change anything with my servers
>> configuration?
>> Thanx.
>> Anil

Disabling the Norton Email scanning option may do the trick.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/3353489cd5cd08c388256c0e005a96e
4/951f2c8b346ba50588256ae0004f262b?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

--
HTH
Meena
"Anil P" <anilpasnani@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can help me to solve my following problem
with
> e mails and OE.
>
> I have Outlook Express 6 and WindowsXP with SP2 installed.
> I can not send any e mails from my outgoing smtp server.and get the
messege:

> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pophm.sympatico.ca', Server:
> 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '500 Unsupported
> command.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 500, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC62
>
> I can receive my emails in OE with the same email ID from the Incoming
POP3
> mail server.
> I have Nortan Antivirus Prog set up for email scanning ON and also have
> Router installed.So shall I have to change anything with my servers
> configuration?
> Thanx.
> Anil

"Anil P" <anilpasnani@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can help me to solve my following problem
> with
> e mails and OE.
>
> I have Outlook Express 6 and WindowsXP with SP2 installed.
> I can not send any e mails from my outgoing smtp server.and get the
> messege:
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pophm.sympatico.ca', Server:
> 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '500 Unsupported
> command.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 500, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC62
>
> I can receive my emails in OE with the same email ID from the Incoming
> POP3
> mail server.
> I have Nortan Antivirus Prog set up for email scanning ON and also have
> Router installed.So shall I have to change anything with my servers
> configuration?
> Thanx.
> Anil
>
>Possible combination of things

1) An ISP problem with their mail server
2) A problem with the proxy server norton uses (or used to use) for mail
scanning
3) Is your firewall set to allow outgoing communications (such as sending
emails).

Not an unknown problem:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12211434~mode=flat
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

Anil P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can help me to solve my following problem
> with
> e mails and OE.
>
> I have Outlook Express 6 and WindowsXP with SP2 installed.
> I can not send any e mails from my outgoing smtp server.and get the
> messege:
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pophm.sympatico.ca', Server:
> 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '500 Unsupported
> command.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 500, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC62
>
> I can receive my emails in OE with the same email ID from the Incoming
> POP3
> mail server.
> I have Nortan Antivirus Prog set up for email scanning ON and also have
> Router installed.So shall I have to change anything with my servers
> configuration?
> Thanx.
> Anil

Record a log file of the transaction. On the bottom of Tools - Options - Maintenance

http://www.uscricket.com