Can not turn firewall off - option is grayed out

I am starting to install SP2 on my system computers; we recently replaced our
file server and upgraded to server 2003. When a computer connects to the
network with SP2 installed the option of turning the windows firewall becomes
grayed out. How can I restore the option for individual computers to turn
the firewall on or off?

When you launch firewall.cpl does it say that some settings are controlled
via Group Policy? Its not a most obvious statement in the UI unfortunately.
If you do have group policy controlling the firewall on domain joined
machines then making the adjustment to the policy should solve this.

There is also a firewall newsgroup in case you were not aware [and group
policy too] as this topic covers a couple or so areas.

--
Stephen Cartwright [MSFT]

rights."

"Stoney" <Stoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am starting to install SP2 on my system computers; we recently replaced
>our
> file server and upgraded to server 2003. When a computer connects to the
> network with SP2 installed the option of turning the windows firewall
> becomes
> grayed out. How can I restore the option for individual computers to turn
> the firewall on or off?

It does say firewall is being controlled by the domain. That is what made me
know that the installation of server 2003 was the cause. However; I am not a
full time IT person, actually I am the Controller, but have been elected as
having the most knowledge in the company. I have not had time to spend
learning more about server 2003; can you give me quick quideline to where to
change the domain policy.