[SOLVED] Can Nvidia GTX 970 handle 4K video?

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Hi.

I plan to replace my current gaming PC either later this year or early next year after I see the results for both Nvidia's RTX 3000 GPUs and AMD's Ryzen CPUs and Navi GPUs. I intend to hand down my current PC to another member of the family who is not a gamer. It is possible that he will want to connect the PC to his 4K TV via HDMI. My computer uses an Intel i5-7600K CPU on a Gigabyte Z270 motherboard with 16GB of RAM. My GPU is an older Asus variant of the Nvidia GTX 970. I would like my family member to be able to watch 4K video content on the web such as Netflix and Amazon Prime. My understanding is that 4K video is not nearly as demanding as a 4K game and I assume that both my CPU and RAM are capable of handling 4K video.

My question is can my GTX 970 handle 4K video or would I need to replace the GPU? Since my family member does not plan to game on the PC, if the GPU needs to be replaced, I do not see the need for a high-end GPU. If a replacement GPU is needed, what basic or lower-end GPUs that can handle 4K video would you recommend?

Thanks.