Can OEM mobo fit in any case?

comanzo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
Like title states, I desire to switch my oem case for another for better cooling. The problem is can a mini-atx mobo that is an oem, fit in a full tower atx case? Obviously, a regular mini-atx mobo would, but I heard an oem mobo won't, as it's only made for that pre-built case specifically. I heard that the standoffs that hold the mobo. in place will be the problem when putting it into a new case. But I would like to hear your thoughts on this, on whether a pre-built oem motherboard, can fit into a bigger case, without the standoffs that hold the mobo. becoming an issue. Thanks in advance.

Solution

Is this it?
Looks pretty standard to me. It should be no problem to use any standard matx case.
asus-essentio-m51ad-series-desktop-motherboard-90pa05g0-m4xbn0-415b25b211d05964d9e4dd676a581a92.jpg

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/asus-essentio-m51ad-series-desktop-motherboard-90pa05g0-m4xbn0/281972764361/

its hard to say since some OEM's don't use standard parts especially when you start dealing with pre built computers that use a mini or slim style case

comanzo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

Alright good idea. I could definitely compare that to the standard mini-atx mobo. For reference, the pre-built I have is the asus Essentio M51AD. I don't know what motherboard it has though. That's the problem, it doesn't say anything. I will probably take a picture of it tomorrow if I have time, and post it on this thread. One last thing, when you mentioned comparing it to a standard mobo of the same size, will different manufacturers change the location of the standoffs? For example, MSI's mini-atx mobo could be different in terms of the location of the standoffs than asus'. For this example, both mobo. AREN'T oem's. Thanks for the quick reply.

comanzo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

That's a bummer. I really don't want to buy a new motherboard just to buy a new case, unless I needed a cpu upgrade, which I really don't. For reference, my pre-built system is a asus essentio M51AD, though I looked for info. on the mobo. and found nothing. So I don't know if it will fit in a ATX full-tower.

Is this it?
Looks pretty standard to me. It should be no problem to use any standard matx case.
asus-essentio-m51ad-series-desktop-motherboard-90pa05g0-m4xbn0-415b25b211d05964d9e4dd676a581a92.jpg

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/asus-essentio-m51ad-series-desktop-motherboard-90pa05g0-m4xbn0/281972764361/

Solution

when you are looking at cases just make sure they support mini ATX motherboards

for example, here is a case that supports ATX/micro ATX and mini ATX boards

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853002

comanzo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

Awesome. Looks like I am good then. One last question. This has nothing to do with motherboards by the way, but since I am already on this thread, might as well ask here rather than making a new thread. My last question deals with fans. Do you think if I were to add a fan to that hole area in the picture I showed, that it would be a problem for airflow due to the black plate behind it? I feel like if a fan were placed there, the black part of case would obstruct it. Before you ask me, yes I tried to see if part of the case came off, but it looks like the entire black part comes off, not just the part were the fan is. Finally, is it possible to put a fan on part of the case that covers all these parts? I see the holes on the little sheet that conceals the parts inside(not in pictures btw), and I think it may be possible to put a fan there as well, the only thing stopping me is the gpu. What do you think? This may be the deal breaker for getting a new case. The only reason I am thinking of getting a new case is for better cooling for my gpu. Thanks.

comanzo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

My bad. This is what happens when you try to read labels at 12:30 am. Lol

comanzo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

2qvdoyf.jpg

35i38ur.jpg

I think there is a misunderstanding with the two locations I was talking about. What I did was label the two photos with the two locations I was talking about. The one with #1 was the one I was saying that the black plate behind the vents may be an issue, as it would obstruct the fan. If you don't know what I am saying, go to all the words before it says "finally" on my previous post. After the word "finally", I am talking about #2, where I say the plate that conceals everything, if it was possible to put a fan there as well. Basically, is it possible to put a fan in either location? Or should I opt for a new case for better cooling altogether? I appreciate your help so far, and I hope I am not bothering you with my questions. Unfortunately, I am going to sleep, so do keep in mind that I may not respond back until tomorrow. Thanks. :)

I was talking about spot #1. Airflow there is obstructed and fan wouldn't be very effective.

As about spot #2 - I guess, you could put a large (may be even 200mm) fan there. That would be much more effective than fan in spot #1. But that place has no dust filter and it would be a real nightmare in terms of dust buildup.

I'd suggest looking into some high airflow cases. Your GTX1070 would definitely benefit from that.
For example Cooler Master HAF series.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Lines/mid-tower/

comanzo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

Oh. My mistake. I thought the dust filters were included on the fans themselves, or can be bought separately. I didn't think the case provides it. Here's the case that I plan to buy today thanks to cyber Monday. What do you think? Do you think it's sufficient enough to do liquid cooling later on if I wanted to?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147158

Latest posts